"Self-Funded PhD Students Only"

F

Hi everyone,
I was reading several PhD advertisements and many of them say "Self-Funded PhD Students Only". What does this exactly mean: only for rich people or part-time students? Is there any way to have fundings once applied? I've read something about sponsors but don't know how it works. :$
Do you know something more?
Thanks
:-)

D

It means you have to apply for external grants and scholarships (as opposed to grants and scholarships awarded directly from the university). The best places to look are foundations, and professional organizations in your field. Fortunately, these days, a lot of this information is online. If you're not sure where to start in your search, you could ask for help from a reference librarian if there's a large public library in your area. (In the U.S., a comprehensive resource is the Foundation Center in New York.)

What is your academic field, and where do you plan to study?

F

Thanks for your reply, I have a master degree in pharmaceutical biotecnology and I'd like to study in London. When should I apply for external grants? I mean, if I apply for a non funded PhD and then I don't find fundings, what will happen? IS it a complex iter?
Thans again

W

======= Date Modified 31 May 2012 09:33:41 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by PostGrad Forum team - SPAM*