self plagiarism

S

Happy new year everyone! I'm sure you can all empathise with the sleeplessness caused by a niggling uncertainty or problem (as soon as I resolve an issue another pops up to replace it). Anyways, at the moment I'm thinking about self plagiarism. How worried should we be about this? I have submitted the results from one aspect of my thesis for publication, it is being reviewed but hasn't been accepted yet, and it won't be published before I submit my thesis. Obviously the results are the same in my thesis and the paper so how do I make sure that I am not plagiarising? should I reference the paper as in prep/press in my thesis?
Wishing you all a productive new year :-)

S

Hi Siwee

Self plagiarism is to be encouraged!! :> I hate to be cynical, but you need to self promote to i) let the examiners know that your work is of publishable quality, and ii) get into the habit of citing yourself so you get a profile nad others start to know you. There was a really useful thread recently where someone had listed all the different phrases you should use, depending on where you are in the publishing process. I think you should definitely reference yourself, and maybe use (Siwee, under review). Dunno, could be talking rubbish, just a suggestion - earlier thread should help.