Selling yourself in the covering letter

E

Hi,

Can anyone give me any guidance as to what sort of thing is appropriate to put in a covering letter (when applying for a PHD) that will impress PHD supervisors? What is the normal thing to do? Presumably I need to explain what interests me about the topic, but do I present this as a kind of lit review? I'm confused as to what is expected, and the sort of length that is appropriate.

A

usually th lenght should be provided beforehand - if it's not, try and stay within the one-page (single space) limit, that's what I've done when I was applying everywhere last year. The place for the literatrue review is rather in the Ph.D. proposal, the covering letter is all about you and how everything you've done so far is leading to this great moment in history when hopefully you start your Ph.D.

A

on a more serious note - put yourself for a minute in the position of the supervisor, think about the potential ideal candidate and then try to hm, adjust your life to that vision. that is - mention any relevant extra-curricular/academic activities, anything that shows you can undertake independent research, are responsible,can manage time well,provide proof of your involvement in the chosen field etc. false modesty is out, so are huge exaggerations, good luck!

S

try to keep it all relevant to the specific project you are applying for. rather than give a complete record of all the expertise, put an emphasis on the expertise you have that will make you ideal for this project.

Keep your paragraphs 3 to 3 1/2 lines long (short, i know, but thats all the human brain can digest at once)

If you are worried about fitting it all in 1 page, dont be afraid to tinker with the line-spacing by 0.1-0.5pt, and fanangle with the margins a little too.

Also, play your big-guns first, i.e. Make sure the first selling point you put in the letter is your best one! Hope that helps

S

Pop in a photo of yourself in sexy underwear and sign it 'will do anything it takes...'

E

Thanks for the advice; I think I may have to resort to something pretty desperate if I am going to stand a chance. There is not a lot on my CV to make me stand out. Getting my keks off may well be my only option.