Seminar teaching: Any experiences?

P

Hi all!

My supervisor has nominated me for a seminar leader for a research method seminar course. I'm very flattered that shes chosen me!
Does anyone have any experience of running seminars? I'm not starting until the autumn term, and the stuff is not that hard to grasp (basic theoretical theories etc).

Any experiences/comments would be much appreciated :)

D

Hope someone can shed some light as I have applied for some teaching hours this semester too and any tips would be appreciated...probably won't get any hours anyway as they like to give the hours to those with experience (I do wonder how you are supposed to get experience if they prioritise to students with experience iyswim?)
My sup also mentioned giving a presentation to her students which would be good...I love presentations...that is if the equiptment works on the day!!!!

R

Hi,

although no specific experience regarding research seminar I have often facilitated educational sessions and courses. It is important, in my opinion, to be aware that your audience will be adult learners. In general, adult learners learn when:
1. theme fits in with previous experience
2. considered to be relevant
3. non threatening environment
4. inspirational facilitator

In other words make sure the topic is relevant, use plenty of examples people can relate to, try and involve your audience, let them do things (instead of just listening / looking at power point) and create an atmosphere where people can be honest and open (small group work). Finally be enthousiastic about your topic!

C

The good thing about teaching seminars/ tutorials is that your students are expected to contribute. I don't know which field you are in, but I used to prepare material/ activities that would lead to open discussion. Sometimes it works very well, other times it doesn't, so be prepared with a plan B or C to avoid staring at each other for the session! Obviously it also depends on how many students you have in your classroom. It is difficult to engage an entire lecture-theatre! When you prepare for the sessions think about what you would expect to learn if you were the student and be aware that you need to use a variety of methods/ approaches because every person learn in a different way -e.g. I am a 'visual learner' completely useless with anything else! Teaching is a fantastic experience and you learn to be a good teacher along the way, so good luck! I am sure that you will enjoy it.

P

I have worked for 2 years as a seminar leader and PT lecturer. I think the main thing is not to put too much pressure on yourself from the get-go. The best bit of advice I ever had was remember to always focus on the students experience rather than your own performance.
I would like to add - don't expect students to read anything or contribute - be prepared to cajole them into thinking