Seriously considering "suing" ex-supervisor

K

Most of us have been or will be in your position, grizzle, juggling corrections with earning money and family and other commitments once our studentships have run out. It's really hard and it costs us all.

Yes, supervisors have a duty, but students also have a duty to do what they can to succeed - it's your PhD at the end of the day. I know of a number of students who have been in your position and found help from other academics, with or without their supervisor's approval.

I find it surprising that you had just one supervisor - I think many institutions' policy is to have two, for a number of reasons including sabbaticals.

J

My only advice would be to just accept the situation as it is, take a deep breath and do the revisions. Count yourself lucky to have made it so far with funding in place. I suspect suing will just take up time and energy which would be better placed just doing the revisions. I don't say that lightly. I have just had my viva and came away with major amends.... Nothing insummountable. I also work full time and have two young children who I make sure I spend lots of quality time with. I'm planning a couple of hours tomorrow while I'm on a train to a meeting while I quietly ignore my blackberry.