Seriously thinking about quitting

G

So today I told my boss that I want to defer to MSc and work until October.. looks like it's being set in motion; hope it goes to plan. I do't know what I'll do come October but hopefully I'll have some sort of job! The thought of getting out of this entire situation and getting on with my life is incredibly heartening. I might make that application to the police, or get a part-time job to tide me by. I almost feel the stress barrier lowering... Amazing :)

G

Thought I'd bump this for those who are also having the same thoughts I had - look into what goes through the mind etc during this process.

So I've now deferred to MSc - my life is so much better :D Less stress, more free time, I've been looking at what else I could do - generally feel much better about things. Sure, I'm slightly worried about what I'll be doing at the end of the year when work is up, but hey, that's life! I might even take some of my savings and go travelling for a bit! I'll tell you, not having to worry about writing chapters, reviewing stale research papers and having to jump at every word my supervisor gives is a massive relief - I can't remember why I even joined up! I am never going back into academia!

Always look on the bright side of life lol :D

G

Just back from two weeks in Austria! Mind much more at ease. My work might dry up come the end of the year but I can live on savings for the better part of a year if required. I'm looking at applying to either electronics jobs or moving into a different type of engineering - that, or still possibly make a move into the police! I do have an opportunity in Germany where I get to specify my salary (within reason!) so it looks like this may have bee the more lucrative option, if I go for that.

The project is still really tough and is now critical for my company but on the whole, but I have more free time, more money and less stress! I almost faint at the thought of writing the MSc thesis so it was probably a good idea to exit from the PhD program- it really, really wasn't for me. :) I'm doing this part-time and for as long as the company want to keep me on - the thesis probably due early next year.

Spoke to my supervisor just yesterday and things between us seemed ok, so bridges weren't completely burnt. He told me not long back how he knew research was for him, but that he does have it on his mind 24/7 - I guess it's just for some people - not me, phew!

Anyway, just a quick update - things were so frantic a few months ago. It almost felt like the end of the world for me, the pressure was unreal. But now it's like a new beginning - so thanks for all the advice and to those who pm'd me who were also going through the same thing.

G

Update!

So I have until December(ish) until my current work dries up. Thankfully grad recruitment is opening up again this month!

Luckily, I've found another engineering job close to home with good prospects - lots of positions available! I've passed the first round of interviews and have been invited to the second, so fingers crossed! Really holding out for this - otherwise there are still engineering jobs going round.

Phew! I just know when I secure a full-time job I can start putting my mind at ease a bit more! :)

R

well done Guitarman,

I have been surprised how little effect leaving my PhD has had on my career!! I think it all boils down to the fact that for most careers outside academia a PhD is not needed and most prospective employers will not have PhDs themselves so they are not likely to judge people for bailing out of what can be a very tough career venture.

Sounds like things are starting to work out for you so fair play :-)

rjb

G

Hey, I remember you sending me a message during my troubling times, so thanks for your support!

I was expecting the worst, but even though I mentioned quitting the doctorate, this new company seem eager to get me started! I've never been so glad to be taking this route - I actually have my life back and will be getting paid even more for working less hours! Very glad to hear things worked out well for you, also! :)

G

UPDATE:

As you know my contract runs out at the end of the year. Well I've been in the process of applying to several jobs. I've even considered becoming an engineer in the RAF - excellent pay, stable career, but obviously downsides to that one...! I submitted my application to the police last week - was very excited!! Great pension, good bunch of guys, exciting job - have been training overtime for that and am getting very fit indeed.

Of course I've been filling in forms for engineering firms. I finished the first and went to interview, and hadn't even finished the second before I'd been offered the job!! VERY pleased - it's a different sort of role than I'm used to - more international travel, talking with people etc. Good money and benefits, local to where I live. Can't believe I bagged this given the current climate! So I'm going to accept, but will keep the police going in the background as I'm still interested in that.

If I stick to this new job, it means I'll have a little time left here... I just have to write a 60 page MSc report and then I'm done! I can leave with my MSc, get this new job.. and if I like it, my plan is to do a part-time MBA over two years. So in two years' time, when I would have finished my horrendous doctorate, instead I will have lots of real work experience, an MSc, and hopefully an MBA! Things have DEFINITELY worked out for the best here. If electronics ever does go majorly downhill I will hopefully have the option of moving abroad to continue in that line of work or moving into another field with my MBA! Quitting the doctorate was the second best thing I have ever done (first best was to get my degree!)

Thanks for all your help, guys!

D

Guitarman,

I'm very happy for you and this is one of those posts that has cheered me up! You made a decision that wasn't easy to make and in very difficult times (during the credit crunch) but it looks as though it has paid off!

All good wishes!

G

======= Date Modified 30 Sep 2009 16:55:25 =======
Thanks, Delta! I'm amazed at how things have worked out - it was a real gamble at the time and took real balls for me to actually do something about my unhappiness and quit (especially given the state of the economy) - I reckon 80% of those who say they'll quit don't. Luckily, it looks like it's working out, for which I am so glad!
Thanks for your input and your support! Glad to have cheered you up! :)

I'm so jealous of you guitarman! well done hope things go well for you (up)

G

Thanks, Sneaks! Much appreciated :)
Have got a start date for the new job - will be awkward for the old boss as they really need me to keep working on this thing, but then they could have hired me!
I'll feel good starting afresh. Yesterday I wrote a rough 20 pages for my report - going to try and get it done in a month so that I can move on with everything else put behind me :)
So glad I'm going to be getting the MSc out of it!

C

I just want to point out that even if you do not want to continue in this line of wrok, a PhD is a great acheivement and will say a lot about your determination and hadr work to future employers in other lines of work... Think of the effect quitting woudl have especially so close to the end? What message to your send about yourself to future employer in any other field? A PhD is always tough, so do nto get discouraged so close to the finish line.
Best of luck.

G

Err, did you read any of this thread?? (Also, I was nowhere near the end).
I could just as easily give a long list giving reasons why a PhD could be a bad thing for you!

G

Would you believe.... I submitted my contract for a new job today. And at lunchtime got a potential offer for a job paying more, and being located only 10 mins drive from home!! :o I think I will honour the existing job - sounds pretty exciting, also. But that's both a bummer and a bonus, huh!!
In other news, I've got 24 pages of scrawl in regard to my MSc write-up. Going to try and get it done within the month!

G

So..... it's been a while. My MSc thesis is almost complete - maybe give it another month.

In the end I took a job closer to home who gave me a raise to tempt me from the other company - I'm in charge of a project and the work is amazing! Things have worked out SO well, ten minutes to work, healthy salary, good experience, getting my MSc hopefully. I keep saying it but I am SO glad I'm not stuck on my PhD anymore - in my heart I know I probably would have failed in the end and been miserable, and now I'm several steps up the experience/pay ladder instead. I think I burnt bridges with maybe one or two people, but I have learned from this process about people in general, who matters and who doesn't, and that you have to be true to yourself no matter how difficult that is - I am so much stronger and all my friends comment on my new assertiveness.

It's gutting for a lot of youngsters in the UK (specifically) now, though - meltdown next year, I reckon. It's all about wealth preservation of the older generation and keeping property prices astronomically high. Masked inflation and massive unemployment. There's a real edge in the department I was a part of as postgrad jobs are like gold dust. And even if you get one, say on £30k if you're lucky, after rent and the cost of living you're saving bugger all, so what's the point? I'm potentially looking to overseas work after I get the experience I need as the UK is no place for a young adult to be starting out anymore. Already I'm converting my savings to another currency as there are clear warnings that sterling might tank.

Anyway enough gloom there lol - I will update when I hand my MSc in and hopefully get awarded with it :)