Setting fire to it?

B

So, ever feel like tipping it all into the garden and setting fire to it, even perhaps including a tribal dance waving one's arms whilst swigging something very strong from a bottle? Well, I'm having one of those days. Even looking at how strong the trees are swaying to gauge how far the smoke would travel. I then drift off to try and work out how long it would take to travel by foot to Australia.

As you can see, I'm not having a very productive day! How you doing? :-s

A

Hi Buzby.. neither am i.. my day has been wasted actually. :-(.. you know what. i might go for a walk to clear my head then get back to it. Maybe you should do the same. I'm sure you will make up for it.

C

I want to destroy my entire thesis on a quantum level so there is no trace. A fire won't achieve that. I want to rip a hole in space time and dump the thesis in there - and I want to extinguish the thesis wherever it exists in the multiverse...every single dimension....gone. ;-)

K

I would also need to set fire to everybody who has read any part of it

J

sometimes I might think of doing it, or shoving everything through a shredder - but this is someone who still has some of her school exercise books in the loft, and some old exam papers so I don't think it will happen.

K

Don't do it! Don't do it! Don't throw all your hard work to waste. You'll make it. Just keep pressing on. You can download 'the power of positive thinking' by Norman Vincent Peale from www.audible.com or amazon. You'll make it. You can relax or go to the gym. Don't throw the thesis in the fire.

K

I might do a 'trash the thesis' photo shoot like trash the dress - if you haven't been married recently, this is a photoshoot AFTER the wedding, where you wear your dress and 'trash' it i.e. run around in the sea, run around in corn fields, sit on trees, go dog walking etc etc all in your dress.

*Imagines tearing pages of the thesis into the sea*

A

I've often considered this too Buzby!
After I have my thesis viva'd, hard bound,and completely done, I do plan on taking all the papers, mindmaps, scribbles etc and having a ceremonious burning of everything! With a BBQ and a massive cooler full of drinks, with all friends etc round to celebrate with me!

I have often wanted to do this throughout the process, but keep myself going knowing that one day I will get to do it, i'll just be doctor when I do! :) Keep pushing on, we'll get there.

B

I was really tempted to burn the lot about 18 months to 2 years ago! But I kept going.

Now that I've passed my viva, completed my corrections, and am just awaiting the hard bound copies and formal signing off later this month I don't quite know what I'm going to do with all my research stuff. It's built up into quite a few piles at home (I work from home, as a part-time student), and I think I'll be putting it away in a cupboard. But not burning it. Well I might shred some old drafts for fun. But that's about as far as I'll go down the path of wanton destruction :p