Shall I really go for a PhD?

S

First, sorry that I am using you guys as councillors to my problems without expecting the "per hour" fare, but I am kind of puzzled at the minute. I am currently working as a RA in a Developmental Genetics lab in Oxford after graduating from Birmingham a year ago. I've always wanted a career in research and for that the path through a PhD is inevitable, but due to my "low" degree (2.1) I thought work experience and/or a Master would help me enhance it and give me time to know what PhD would be the best for me. I am currently doing the former but my contract is finishing in 10 months and I don't really think I have gained all the lab skills I was hoping for with it, so I have been considering a Masters. The thing is one of my bosses thinks: Master = waste of money and time, so I don't know what to do.

S

I don't want to jump into a PhD as I don't believe I am ready for it or have enough skills, but on the other hand if I was stay here I don't know if I will be able to boost up my CV much more as I don't really have time to learn more skills (plus my bosses are not very prone to teaching) and I want to have my own project...what can I do? Make the big jump (is my grade and experience enoughl?); settle for a Master and give me some time to think and gain skills; or stay here one more year, have time to think and hope to increase my lab skills? (my bosses seem to want to have me learn new things, but the busy schedule says the opposite)

PLEASE HEEEELP!! :)

B

I don't know who told you a 2:1 is a "low degree", but you need to get that idea out of your head. The majority of the PhD students I have met have a 2:1 and it is easily enough to start a PhD from. If thats what you want to do, just be aware what you are getting yourself into.

Masters courses are variable. Some are an essential pre-requisite to work in a certain field, whereas other are cash cows for universities looking to capitalise on students unready to enter the real world. Check out what previous graduates of whichever programme you are interested in joining do when they leave.

O

Thing is, as Badhaircut mentioned above, it's not about distinction or 2.1 or 2.2 or first class.
You call yourself scientifically unstable, implying that you are worried about your skills and your knowledge.

Problem is, PhDs are rarely about your knowledge and your research skills. If you get a PhD depends on different factors. At the end of the day, it's a question of being emotionally and mentally stable, being patient and having the right level of support, for example from your supervisor (s).

So I wouldn't worry about not knowing enough but rather ask yourself the question if you really want to live for three years in a state of anxiety, financial insecurity and mental exhaustion. Only if you are willing to sacrifice three years of your life to one, relatively boring and probably useless research topic, then go for it. If I had to make this decision again I'd probably run away.

P

I really don't agree that a Masters is a waste of time. I've got 2 of them; health psychology and research methods. Both MScs have given me stage 1 crediation of a health psychology qualification and my research methods has really helped me settling into my phd, and will be invaluable when it comes to analysing data etc. Also, some of the studentships require studying at masters level; for example, ESRC +3 funding (which is what i have) requires that a student already has a masters in research prior to phd study.

Some unis (UCL, cambridge) do look for people with 1st class degrees for PhD; whereas other unis look at candidates with 2.1s, 2.2s and additional qualifications so it depends.

K

I don't think it's about the undergrad class, masters, or experience here. I am sure anyone seeing your PhD application on paper would deem it more than suitable - you sound like you have sufficient experience.

The issue here is your own commitment and confidence to the PhD and you plainly say you don't think you are ready. If you feel that now, chances are you will struggle early on. You're currentlty working as an RA, but being contracted member of staff is quite different from researching as a PhD student. The latter demands a lot of self motivation, criticism and discipline, while as an RA you are more guided and have more structure to your work.

As BHC says, some masters courses are very good - perhaps you could look for one that has a good research component, whcih will give you more idea of your readiness to undertake PhD research.

K

PS - I have a 2:1 too - and the subject area wasn't even remotely connected to my PhD!!

T

A 2:1 is not too low to start a PhD.. The BBRSC, who fund alot of science PhDs require students to have a 2:1 or 1st. I had very little lab experience when I started my PhD and that wasnt a problem for me or my supervisors and they weren't bothered about me having a masters. New techniques can easily be learnt, in my opinion the most important thing is enthusiasm and a willingness to learn.

S

Hello everyone

Thanks a bunch for your replies! Well I think my 2.1 is "low" (notice the inverted commas) because it is a lower 2.1 instead of upper so in many cases it is not as considered for a PhD (if at all). The good thing is that I have my work experience but as kronkodile mentions there is a big difference between a RA and a PhD student, which in my case was made obvious since I started here with my bosses forcing me to leave early and not allowing me to overwork. It is also because of this that I really want to end up doing a PhD (via a master or not) because I want to have my own project, be able to give my whole to something that feels mine, which is why I don't think I will have much problems with the commitment that it represents. That is the reason why I feel forced to think that I need to be ready beforehand (skills wise) and know exactly what I want, so that I can give it my best and not live miserably with something I don't like for 3 years.

S

Even so, I think all of you guys here have helped me in giving some clarity to my turbid mind For now, I am going to enquire about entry requirements and try to find out what value has my degree and my work experience when it comes to a applying to any sort of postgraduate education and then from then I think I will be able to make a better decision. It is going to be a tough one and more considering my lack of initiative when it comes to decision-making times, but hopefully I will be able to survive! Anyways, can any of you guys tell me what are the best and worst things about your PhDs? Are you living the great excitement of your life or just cruising through one more stage in life? Do you know what you would be doing once you are done? Why are postdocs so craply paid?

Cheers everyone!

Juan

S

By the way, krokondile and Tricky can I ask you what are your PhDs about? Where are you doing them?

K

Hey, only just seen this... sorry for delay. My PhD is done and dusted, submitted last Sept, viva'd in January. It was in a Psychology discipline, but my first degree was an arts based one!

H

Hi there!
I am in the social sciences background but I have applying for sciences and social sciences PhD's. At every interview I have been for they loved my masters because it involved a module of research training, doing a research project(dissertation) and studying at postgraduate level. I would say that interviewers hope you have done research training, put it into practice on your course and if you have any work research experience that is a bonus! I have really enjoyed my masters and for the extra ways it has developed me was certainly worthwhile. Studying at masters level might help you decide whether continuing at PhD level is for you. I think at the end of my masters people decided they either wanted to carry on studying or never wanted to do it for a long time!

H

I would say go for the masters! But do your research into what and where to make sure that your masters is worth the investment.
(Mine has certainly helped me get alot of interviews in the areas that I want).
I would advise thinking about what PhD you would like to do, keep applying for PhD's and do a masters in the meantime to help get you there.
I would also advise buying books off amazon about doing and applying for PhD's. They will help you decide whether a PhD is for you. Good luck!

T

I'm doing my PhD at a BBSRC research institute and it is in the field of veterinary microbiology looking at intestinal health, nutrition and genetic resistance to disease in poultry