Shifting with half-completed thesis to another university

L

Good day to all,

I was just wondering how feasible is shifting with your half-completed thesis to another university? Has anyone done that?

And also, how do we go about getting accepted? Do we go through the registrar as a normal student and wait to be assigned a supervisor or should we contact the potential supervisor in advance by email?

Are supervisors reluctant in accepting a student who is just left with the writing up?

S

why do you want to do that since you are already on the stage of writing-up

L

It does not flow between me and my supervisor anymore. I want to know my options as there is noone in my university who can supervise me on the topic that I have chosen.

I want to know if this has ever happened to other students and what did they do?

It's my last option, I must admit, but I want to know if it is a good option in the first place.

S

I don't know anyone who has done this, but if it were me, I would contact potential supervisors my email in the first instance. After all, it's not worth doing unless the new supervisor is sympathetic and willing.

P

From your other post (Supervisor playing games with me) my understanding is that you are half way through your PhD, not half way through writing your thesis. Am I correct? If that is the case, then it is makes it more feasible to change supervisor.

M

I very much doubt this would be allowed, unless there was exceptional circumstances.

If you are self-funding it may not be so much of a problem. But if you have a studentship or research council funding, I would imagine it's impossible. If you have a problem with your supervisor, the department will assign a new one.

The only time I have heard of people doing this is when the supervisor leaves and takes his/her PhD student with them.

L

Yes, sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm half-way through my research, not the writing up.

What should I do?

Should I approach another faculty member then and ask him to be my supervisor even if he is not fully in my field?