Shortest & Longest PhD Vivas

======= Date Modified 08 Jul 2011 23:44:29 =======

Quote From Natassia:

I'm way off my own viva but while waiting to go in for my research plan approval meeting (I was terrified) my supervisor told me that her viva was only 20 minutes with no corrections, and that it was good psychologically because they were running late and she was early so they kept her waiting for about 10 minutes - a really small thing but she said that it puts you into a better position; they were running late for my meeting as well.

Hopefully I'll have something a bit more interesting to add to a thread like this in the future, and I'm enjoying reading about others' viva experiences.

Beefy: I wonder if she tactically thought about wearing stockings or whether she does all the time?!

:-)

I just happened to be looking at her as I was answering a question and she crossed her legs. The seating arrangements were such me and my supervisor were sat facing towards her. Nothing 'tactical' about it and it's possible she wears them all the time (honesty on my part, in that I suspect hold-ups before any male minds - like my best mate's mind did when I told him - start wandering onto sussies - though sussies would make a better story). She is a very dressy person but dressed for herself rather than the occasion or others. Definitely just a faux pas!!!

However, I was so wrapped up in the viva that I didn't click until after I'd left the room (as I said).

She's also a bit of a mother hen towards anybody under her care. One of my colleagues joked you probably couldn't get into her department facilites, because of all the cotton wool she had her own PhD students and researchers wrapped up in.

I also remember being sent to a seminar in Manchester and she was there. My supervisor (by then my post-doc line manager) had obviously asked her to keep an eye on us. We ended up being shepherded to the boards for our posters, after which she sought out drawing pins for the posters and came back with cups of tea for us (milk, sugar, etc.). She then kept reappearing throughout the afternoon to ensure we were okay and if there was anything we needed.

It's said many in academia rise through the ranks due to their ruthless streak. In her case, her ruthless streak must have been very deeply buried or she became the first person to make Professor by being nice to everyone. That said she was very committed to her subject and had made Professor at quite a young age (mid-to-late 30s). She got her PhD upgraded to D.Sc. in not too far over the minimum 8 years I believe too. Given her intellegence, I don't think trying to pull the wool over her eyes would be possible either (she would eventually find or figure you out).

I believe if she had to fail someone, she would probably not feel brilliant about it. There was a little bit about her that suggested to me, she probably still wished she was one of the students / girls.

Quite a woman actually and probably quite an example professionally to other women in academia. From what I know of her, a really nice person. However, one very academic flaw I think she might have had is her day-to-day relationships with people may well have taken slightly second place to her commitment to her work and subject area.

I'll add that given the fairly close working relationship between her and my primary supervisor, someone more distant should perhaps have been selected to conduct my viva.

======= Date Modified 08 Jul 2011 23:59:22 =======
Question deleted about how people celebrated after the viva, as I think that deserves a thread of it's own.

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=18773

P

My viva lasted just over one hour. In contrast to horror viva stories often told, it was more of a lively debate of my work/thesis. The external, who is the editor of the main journal in my field, commenced noting that "I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your thesis". He, however, added that the viva would explore some of the issues requiring clarifications. Then, it was more of a lively conversation. Tough questions, though! Both examiners fielded their questions which I tackled to the best of my abilities. Some 75 minutes into the viva, the questioning stopped. Both examiners looked at each other, there was a split second silence and the external said "fair enough". He asked if the internal had any more questions to which he responded, "NO". I left the room with my supervisor for some 5-10 minutes which I spent chatting with my supervisor. The chair came to fetch us. The external notified me of the joint decision: "PASSED WITH MINOR CORRECTIONS". I was SO PLEASED.