Should I ask why I didn't get the renewal of a teaching assistant position this year??

L

Hi guys,

Some may remember my recent "two faced academics" thread. Basically, after being a TA for a certain subject 3 years in a row I was told to take a break this year. I'm now obsessing if it is because of bad evaluations. I mean, it could well be because of other reasons. However, I can not seem to let it go.

I'm thinking of asking my supervisor who is good friends with the lecturer that is in charge of the subject. My bet is she probably knows why but she has generally hard time with confronting me with criticism of any kind so she is not offering any explanations but just might answer the direct question.. Other option is to ask lecturer directly but I am kind of awkward with her so would feel more comfortable in asking my supervisor.

I'm still wondering if this would be OK to do. On one hand it might show a degree of self awareness which I believe is positive. On the other hand if there were really no negative evaluations it smacks of insecurity or even paranoia.

What should I do?

L

Also if I decide to ask, should I ask via e-mail or in person?

B

You should absolutely find out the reasons behind it, otherwise, as you say, you won't be able to let it go. I don't think you should worry too much about how it looks, it's a valid question, and I can't see anyone disagreeing with that. This is assuming you simply ask, and not go in accusing people or being aggressive/defensive (which I'm sure you won't).

Personally, I would go for supervisor in person or lecturer by email. I would do supervisor first, then if no luck, go for lecturer. If you really are worried about how it looks, then highlight the fact you are only concerned because you want to know how you can improve your teaching, if this is the reason. I have to say I doubt it is the reason - much more likely is they want you to spend more time on your research this year and want to give someone else a chance. They have just gone about it in a really crap way.