Should i be concerned?

D

I dont think my supervisors care about me. I keep on sending them huge pieces of work and hassling them for supervision, but I havent seen them for months, and when I do see them they always give me positive feedback and never criticise anything I've done. Whilst that might sound quite nice, it is a bit worrying since I am about to submit in a couple of months. Surely my PhD can't be perfect?!

H

DJWicked...this is very disconcerting i know. However do you think their criticism is constructive, rather than the other "what is this rubbish you have written?" If so - long may it continue. I am hoping to submit soon too and my supervisors are organising a mock-viva, perhaps if they haven't already, suggest this and see if you get a clearer picture this way...I am sure we are allowed to have more than mock-viva! From previous posts on this forum it appears no two supervisors are the same, but if we are feeling isolated or like there is a lack of interest it is also up to us to badger them. Talking of badgers...did anyone see the Apprentice?!

H

Sorry, I meant DJWICKID not DJWICKED

D

That's a good idea to ask specific questions to see if they've actually read it. i know I wouldnt, its so boring!!

G

As a bit of light relief I got so fed up of people not reading stuff at MSc level that I started including spurious references to see if lecturers noticed. W. Rooney (2005) ‘My story so far’ was a favourite, as was V. Beckham (2002) ‘Learning to fly’. No one ever commented. Sad really. Sorry to sidetrack DJWickid.

D

I think its a good idea. I have been tempted to add in some really random things to my thesis

G

England's World Cup team of 1990 [I believe] tried to get Wham song titles into every TV interview. Sad bunch. Still better than the present incarnation.

W

My supervisors reads ever word! Both of them. I have been told that the word 'thrice' and 'aforementioned' are obsolete words and I am only 26! I argued and they are allowing me to keep 'aforementioned' but not 'thrice'!

G

I have been told that the word 'thrice' and 'aforementioned' are obsolete words.

They are talking bollocks, and should buy a dictionary.

D

I think the word 'thrice' should be reintroduced into our daily English. Like how jail should be gaol