Should I change my major on PhD studies?

Z

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions to ask concerning switching a major on PhD. So far I have obtained the following degrees: BBA (marketing); PG; MBA (marketing management); MSc (economics/marketing). Soon I will start with my doctoral studies in organizational science and management with concentration on strategic management. Currently, I work (part time) as TA lecturing courses which are primarily related with marketing. However, I'm getting fed up with marketing and that is why I want to expand my knowledge in a more complex field such as strategic management. Hypothetically, after my PhD, can I still lecture both courses (marketing & management) cause my research expertise is versatile?
Overall, is changing major a good thing? I would really appreciate if anyone who has been in the same situation as me advice me on this particular issue.

Thank you.

Best,
ZI11

F

Speaking in more abstract and anecdotal terms (from my experience), I find that shifting majors can be part of the refining process in pursuit of a genuine interest. I went from BA Theology, to M.Sc. Intl Trade Policy now to a PhD in Environment & Politics at a top 10 uni (depending on who you ask LOL). A slight shift in interest at PhD level is expected since the research is so specific, you may find yourself pursuing a tangent rather than staying in the general field.

I was never blessed to know exactly what I wanted to do until I was about 36, I just knew a few things I was good at, and I honed those skills until the thing I was best at / most interested in revealed itself.

I'm biased, but I think a diverse background makes you a more interesting individual and provides you with more tools to operate with within your environment also making you more capable (read well rounded).