Should I continue Ph.d or work?

M

I'm a master student in engineering field and now thinking whether to continue to Ph.d or not. I have worked in networking field before joining this master course and have 3 years of working experience in that field. Now, my master field is different from my previous work and I'm considering whether to focus on my previous career again or continue to Ph.d in this field. Honestly speaking, I'm not very interested in this field and research work. I rather would like to improve my skills and my career by directly going to the industry. But, I'll be granted a funding if I continue for doctor course. I think my career direction will change if I continue doctor course. Another thing is the job prospects of a Ph.d is only within the academia? I'm not so keen to work in academic or research field. What should I do? Your opinions are appreciated!

M

I think you have already replied to your question yourself. You have to bear in mind that a PhD is extremely time-consuming and demanding. Therefore, if you don't have a genuine interest in your subject or doing research for that matter, what's the point of doing a PhD? The money you could gain from a studentship is not that worthwhile. Plus, you would lose a good three years of work experience in the industry....

All the best!!