Should I do Msc in Finance?

P

Hi there, im new here and im glad to have found this forum. Im a graduate in Computer Science and have since then been working for 2 years in the telecommunications industry. ive been looking around trying to decide what I would like to study next and im not intending to take up a course in IT. I was thnking of Finance instead as I believe it has good career prospects but of course i need to like it as well. I hope to get some answers here as what I should expect to get from taking a masters in Finance and what should be my interest for me to tell myself that this is what im looking for.

Z

If you take a job in a bank, you can study for your Diploma in Financial Studies, which is the equivalent qualification. Most banks pay for staff to take such courses.

B

I would say do whateva you feel is right for you and i can tell you finance isnt a bad choice and so many different lines you can choose from moreso with your IT background you are a cut above the rest - will also advise u to consider taking up CFA(Chartered Financial Analyst) Programme alongside your chosen masters its a very good professional course and this will give you the edge esp in investment banking, Am doing the same just in my final yr BA Financial Services but taking up CFA too with the view of sealing it all with a Masters in International Financial Markets - aiming for investment banks.Good luck and do make a well informed decision its your future

P

Hi, Thanks for the advise, i at least have the assurance that if i were to make this decision, it wouldnt be a mistake. but like u said i have to like it and im going to do some homework. by the way would you also know what are the best institutions that i should look for to take up a masters in finance?

B

Hi.I suggest you look at the university gradings and mind you these can differ from business schools gradings too.There are so many threads you can choose your masters from and obliviuosly based on what you want to do you can then check the uni gradings.There are obliviuos choices like LS of Economics and the rest but not sure on your financial side how strong you are but if its like the rest of us a simple pool would include Nottingham University (not The Nottingham - pooe graduate employment record), Warwick, York University just to name a few.Am highly considering Southampton why its i can afford and good university both research and graduate employment record.Do some research also.

B

Hi.I suggest you look at the university gradings(ratings) and mind you these can differ from business schools gradings too.There are so many threads you can choose your masters from and obliviuosly based on what you want to do you can then check the uni gradings.There are obliviuos choices like LS of Economics and the rest but not sure on your financial side how strong you are but if its like the rest of us a simple pool would include Nottingham University (not The Nottingham - poor graduate employment record), Warwick, York University just to name a few.Am highly considering Southampton why - its i can afford and good university both research and graduate employment record.Do some research also.Good luck

B

Sorry pressed enter twice

R

it is question to BlackBently, i have an offer from University of Southampton in MSc in Accounting and Finance. Now instead of going to Southampton i am considering to stay in london and do MSc in Finance and Investments. What do you think of that? i am aiming at research positions at Ibank or corporate finance at investment management companies or big4
thanks