should i go for Phd or not

Q

I am 43 y old married and have family ,recently I have been offered teaching job and promise to continue education for the PhD, I think it is not easy for me to far away from the family and begin new academic life at this age, any comments
is it possible or not to study hard all the nights and think of family and work and income and.....
please any inputs are appreciated

Q

it seems that no body is interested in this topics, does that mean that no body in the forum is at my age????????????

S

You have to look at your own family situation carefully. The part that really jumps out at me is that you will actually be away from your family. I am over 40 with a young child - as the mother, there is no question of be being away - but my husband and I had agreed before that that we would not live apart for work/study. Have you discussed this with your wife?

My father did a PhD at 40 (in Pakistan - not sure where you are) and although he remained with the family his earnings were radically reduced. My mother was very resentful but he was much happier. He says now though, that he never really used the PhD and could have made the same career changes without it. I think that's hard to judge - the letters are even more influential in Asia than they are here in Europe.

So how much will this benefit you and how will your family cope?

R

I agree with smilodon. look at your family situation carefully. do you have young children or are they grown up? how does your spouse feel about this? can you afford it financially. Is it going to help you fulfil your career ambitions? could your family relocate to near your the university? in which case you wouldnt have to be apart