should I go for this non-funded PHD in UK?

L

Hi there. I post my first title after a quick registering.
I am so confused now. I got an unconditional offer from a UK university with non-funded. Thats mean I have to go for it with my own package money. Plus, I am a non-UK/EU applicant, the fees would be massive (totally around 17,500P per year). I am unable to affort this.

I asked my parent to help me, but they don't like me to take PHD. instead, they advise me to get married coz I am no longer a young for them. I am 28 and I don't like the life what they wanted from me.

:-( What should I do? I really want to Go for PHD. at the same time, I don't want to ask more from My parents.

S

hi Lin
it will not be easy without funding; may I suggest you look around for other phd funding/studentships before taking up the offer.

I am on a full scholarship and even so, my first year was very difficult, I couldn't even save. There was one week (until the next pay day) when I had only 59p in my purse because I had initially spent a lot on rent deposits, buying household items, even the student pass bus-fares. Of course now I am into my 2nd year, it is much easier.

I also knew a non UK/EU girl who came here to do a phd funded through her supervisor (who had a grant) and then suddenly after 2 years he told her there was no more money and she had to finish at MPhil!

Your parents may not approve of your life decisions but they are still your parents, whatever you do they will always be there for you even though they may not act like it or show it to you. Don't worry, they will be fine and so will you.

Don't give up looking for funding.
satchi

L

Hi Satchi, Thanks a lot of your kindly reply.
I apply for Oct 2010, it still have pretty time left for me. and i will keep looking for the other founding. However, my major is in Business. it would be harder than others. Currently the non-funding university has the research center and the prof that I liked a lot. I was just worried in case I couldn't get studentship, then if my parents support me for the tution fee, I still need to solve the life expense by myself. and I have no idea about working PT or FT in UK.

S

hi Lin
here is a rough estimate of living expenses, depending on which part of UK you are going. For example, a room in London will cost more than a room in other cities.

this is not 100% accurate, only to give you an idea how much money you should have every month to get by:
Rent room about £300 a month, house/flat could be anywhere from £350 to higher....
Electricity/water/internet (varies)
if its shared, maybe works about electricity £20, gas (£10), internet (£10) water (£10)
if not shared (if you get your own flat/house), electricity (£30), gas (£30), water (£24 depending on which company).

Food about £300 (again I estimate £10 per day) but could be less
Transport about £64 per week bus pass (but there are other packages)
Phone..say £15 to £30 top up/post paid
And you'll need spending money in your pocket (at least £200) in case you see something or need something, you'll also need money in your pocket in case sometimes you need to take a taxi

When you come here, you also need extra cash in your pocket as your rent deposit (if your rent is £300, the agent will ask from you £300 + £300 + utility deposit + agency fees etc.)

I'm not a good mathematician or accountant but I would say you need at least £800 to get by every month.
Here foreign students can work up to 20 hours per week. Again the pay depends on the job.
If you work at McDonald's they pay something like £5.50 an hour. 20 hours = £110, 4 weeks = £440
so that is not enough

And even with a part time job (and we have no transportation of our own that means we will be walking everywhere) it is difficult to keep up with the demands of the phd. Believe me on this one.

Dont forget that when you first start, you need to buy additional stuff like blankets, pillows, plates, knife, fork, mugs, these may not cost much but they do add up to a large amount. Your phone bill may also be higher the first few weeks because you'll be texting or calling your family more.

If you have family here, they could put you up for free. but if you are alone, you have to pay for accommodation. I suggest you continue looking for funding. All the best.

satchi

S

the bus fare one, should be estimated £64 per month

S

oh yes and the TV license costs £142 per year

L

Hi satchi, Thanks for all.

Thats really very scaring:p the one is Kingston university, the location is between London and Surrey. the rent will be 300-400p/m. (400P/m for living in univerisity). I can cook. but totally I counted was around 700P/M.
You are right about the Part time earning. Its not enough for whole (only for the rent).

I will keep looking for the funding. But in case I couldn't get it, the life would be really very very hard :-(
I couldn't image how to live there (sighing....)

S

hi Lin
you are welcome.
you have to be careful also about university residential halls because for some universities, their accommodation closes during semester break and you have to move out (!) for the holidays. That is a problem especially for foreign phd students, we will not be flying home every semester break (!) so where will we go.
Choose carefully.
regards
satchi

B

Lin,

Another thing to consider is that you need to be able to show proof of a certain amount of money in your bank account to get a visa - in other words you aren't allowed to assume you'll be able to earn it (and in the recession we're in, this possibility of not being able to find even part-time work is something to take seriously). I think this is the first year's fees plus £7200 assuming Kingston is outer London. Here's the table:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/adult-students/money/what-money-do-i-need/
To be honest, unless you really are from a relatively well-off background, I would keep looking for a funded PhD. Are there no scholarships for study abroad that you could apply for (the British Council might be a source of information there) or even what about funded PhDs in your home country? Your parents might be happier to help you if the costs of overseas study aren't there. If you do decide to self-fund, you also might want to think about how well recognised the university will be in your home country for jobs later on. Kingston is towards the lower end of UK university tables - I was talking to someone from Saudi Arabia and he said that there, they only really accept PhDs from certain UK universities - whether that would apply to your country too, I don't know but it might be worth asking about.

L

Hi there.
Firstly Thanks to Satchi, Its quite important information relate to university residential halls. I would ask careful before making order.

And thanks to Bewildered too. As your advised, I have checked with my own Country, Kingston is in the recognized universities list. You are right about the range thing. It is in the lower rank, I have considered about it too. However, My major is well established in this University. And the professors which had interviewed with me was so great. I have looked with other universities higher rank than him. But personally I still like Kingston more.
This was also the thing confused me before, If the rank of universities is really a matter for a PHD student. I don't know your guys opinion about this.

C

Most supervisors will happily accept a self-funded PhD student, so you may as well get admission at a high rank university. I'm not an Oxbridge guy myself, but I recently helped two self-funding international students to get admission at Oxford and it was extremely easy.

Only go to a lower ranking university if they fund you. Good luck.

L

OMG, In this case, I really need to reconsider it seriously.