Should I stay or should I go?

R

Hello All,

I am 9 months into my PhD which I started directly after my undergraduate degree. I am at a new university but spend all my time within a research company which means I have two supervisors. When I started last October I had such an enthusiasm for my PhD and could not wait to start. However up until April I had to attend mandatory lectures (which were pretty much unrelated to my topic) which stopped me from doing any PhD related work. This really kicked the stuffing out of my enthusiasm and towards the end I was feeling pretty low.

Having been free of lectures for a few months now I have been unable to rekindle any enthusiasm for doing my research. I recently went on holiday thinking this would invigorate me and give some perspective but I have returned as same old demotivated me. My Uni supervisor is entirely uninterested in the PhD and does not even respond to emails, whilst the other (based with my company) took a back seat whilst I attended lectures and is never around.

I know that I do not want a life in academia after my PhD and the thought of continuing for 2 years just because I have started is very depressing indeed. Furthermore I get no fulfillment from the work that I do/will do so would not want to continue this after the PhD.

Anybody feeling the same or has left a PhD with some advice? I'm not someone who usually lives with regrets but clearly this could be a big one as I feel silly for not wanting such a greater oppurtuinity at the moment.

R

You only have to look through the archives to see how many people on this forum  have had similar problems to you and set themselves free of the PhD shackles!!! myself included.

I can empathize with regards to your supervisor situation!! My opinion is why should a student be expected so care much about their work if their own supervisor doesnt.

my advice: leave your PhD and be happy. get a job and leave it all behind!!!

G

======= Date Modified 16 Jun 2009 16:06:16 =======
Life is far too short. Weight up all your options and do whatever makes you happy. I recently left a PhD after 1.5 years and it was the best decision I've ever made.
EDIT - is it an ENgD or PhD you're doing?

D

Yes they're tough working conditions - if you're supervisor is already this uninterested it's not going to improve and if you're absolutely sure you don't want to stay in academica or do research the best thing to do it to see what else is out there and do it rather than do something you don't want do! Good luck!

J

Hmm, sounds like you've already gone - mentally speaking ;-)