Should I stay or Should I Go...

M

I was a full time PhD student for 4 years. I had no funding, and limited parental support, so I was 'full-time' working three days a week paid work, and also volunteering in a museum (related to my chosen career). I thought I could cope, but instead burned out. I ended up an emotional mess, with a growing feeling of inadequacy. I ended up de-registering, to think. I got a job - a low-level post, albeit in the field I want to be in, but the PhD is still there, two years on, waiting to be finished, or binned for good. I know it would be great to have career-wise, and also I need to face my demons by proving to myself I can do it. Do you think it's worth it? After a two year break out of it - keeping up with general reading but basically not even looking at it - would you still try and finish? Would it look bad on a CV to have taken so long? Part of me wants to, but sometimes thinking about it makes me feel sick with worry and with massive self-doubt - I am just not good enough...

M

what woulsd life be without those experiences keep on trying, the pain is not bearable, but the benefits will last forever, keep going and never ever look back, for I know you have what it takes to be a star GO FOR IT; ITS Yours

P

I'd suggest you try again but only once your head is sorted and you feel confident in what you can achieve. There is no point going back to it feeling demotivated and demoralised. Weigh up the pros and cons in your head - will you regret it ten years down the line or will you be able to have a successful career without it?

If I can get one, having spent most of my 3 years in the pub and working 5 hours a day.. you should have no problems