Should I take this PhD? Help

C

Hi, this is my first time writing and I really need some urgent advice! I've been offered a Psychology PhD in a Uni with a poor rep, the psychology dept also not a great rep but the supervisors seem great and the project is really good. Half the people I talk have told me not to take it and the other half thatI would be mad not to take it as A)itll be fine that my work will stand to me and B) nothing else might come up!
I'm just really worried that if I take this will the universitys rep be of determent. I've worked so hard for so long that I dont want this to bring me down. What does everyone think?

S

hi Cyc, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you mean by poor rep; in what ways? :-) For me it would have to be a good project and great supervisors first. Sometimes small unknown universities do contribute to great work.Try not to worry, give yourself some more time to think about it. I assume you have more than just this offer :-)
love satchi

G

Hi Cyc,

I'm 3 years into my Science PhD in a very reputable University but my project just had no basis from the start so I've had nothing but difficulties for the 3 years. So I would not say that going to a "reputable" university is very important. What I do think is important from a science perspective is that there is previous research/results/expertise in the group relating to the project or at the very least that there is something that you can work from in the literature. I'm not sure if this is helpful advice for Psychology, but could you ask your potential supervisor about the background for the topic and look into it before accepting?

Hope that this is some help

L

I think there is so much snobbery around (not talking about you cyc!) regarding Universities with good rep and bad rep. At the end if the day it is the individual that is doing the PHd, not the university. Ok, there might be logisitical decisions regarding labs and stuff if its a science phd, but the way I look at it as a humanities student is that its ME writing the thing and so the responsibility ultimately ends with me. As long as you have a supervisor who is supportive and gives you attention (but doesnt need to necessarily be an expert in the area you are writing about) then that should be the priority.

(Sorry about the rant!)