should I take this phd offer?!

D

Dear all,
I applied for a Phd fairly speculatively a while ago with my undergrad supervisor, he didn't seem to think I'd get it and I didn't either, but I thought it would be good to go through the application process as practise for the future.
As it turns out I've been offered funding and I've got a couple of days to give a definite answer, but I'm now not so sure I want to do it: I literally change my mind every five minutes.
If there's any doubt in my mind, is it really a good idea to take the offer? Has anybody been in my position and gone on to do the work?
Help!

J

You really need to want to do a PhD really hard in order to complete it. You don't sound like you really want it. Take a few days off, if you can, walk down the pier, watch the birds, and get clear about it. Honesty to yourself is the key to the right decision.

R

I agree with Jouri. A PhD is not something to take on if you are only half hearted about it.

You don't seem to be sure. If I where you I would think very carefully. consider:

Do you work well with your supervisor?
Do you like your topic?
Is a PhD going to help your career in any way?

You said your supervisor was surprised you got it. That kind of says to me that he may not be overly impressed by your work so far.

my gut feeling would be not to take it.

B

If you have any doubts don't do it. I can't stress enough how important it is to really want to do your research, and to do it for the love of the research only. What area are you in? Enquire about job opportunites after the PhD. Its simple to enough to say "oh I'll just get a post-doc". That's what I thought, but four years on my life priorities are very different. What are the chances of you getting a permanent job? Listen to all those who tell you what hard slog a PhD is - they are soo right, and it is financially and emotionally draining. If you are a natural born academic then there is no better career, but if not get a job, and you'll be much better off in three years time.

P

Yup.. I was in your position..

I applied half heartedly as I didn't want to get a job and when I read through my application I think there were about 3 of 4 sentences that just made no sense and words were mispelt (no change there, then)...

I thought "Hey, why not?" I wasn't passionate about my research subject at all.. but it was 'ok', I felt I could 'cope'..

I loved my PhD years.. I made amazing friends and had a fantastic experience, I don't regret it at all and although I'm sure 90% of people feel like you *have* to be 100% dedicated and *have* to want to work in academia and *have* to love your research area etc etc.. I'm not in that percentage and I don't think that's a bad thing.

If you get a job, you have to work.. if you do a PhD, you have to work..

.. the only benefit is, with a PhD you can (sometimes, I did) choose when and where to work...