Sickness Rant

C

Hi all, just want to get something off my chest.

Two weeks ago I caught something nasty; I had gastric flu for around 10 days. :( Puking, sweating, cramps, flu-like symptoms, muscle pain, the works... it was really awful, and I had to take 2 weeks off work. The last few days were mostly so I could recover and ensure I didn't pass whatever the bugs were onto my labmates, especially one of them who is pregnant. Compounding this, I couldn't take my meds for anxiety and depression so now I feel like all my old symptoms are coming back. I have to do a presentation on Friday. I feel like it's expected I would still give the talk despite being ill for 2 weeks but in the past my boss has said "health comes first".

I'm not sure if I can do a talk successfully in front of experts, without my medication being fully effective; and I wondering whether to ask if I can ditch the talk and speak at another mini-conference. However I feel like being off for so long has put me in the bad books. Today none of the lab people would speak to me, I just got on with my work. Will it seem like I am not showing enough interest if I say I don't feel like giving the talk, because I was ill recently? Does it seem like a copout?

CC

T

Hello,

I'm sure the people in the lab have no problem with you; they are probably just busy with their own work and that's why they didn't speak to you.

I think that you will still be expected to give the talk... You still have three days to prepare which should be plenty of time. It's probably better to do a bad talk, using your illness as an excuse if you need to, rather than not do it at all. Honestly - sometimes in life we have to do things when we are feeling below par. It's difficult, but we have to just get on with it.

I

Quote From TreeofLife:
Hello,

I'm sure the people in the lab have no problem with you; they are probably just busy with their own work and that's why they didn't speak to you.

I think that you will still be expected to give the talk... You still have three days to prepare which should be plenty of time. It's probably better to do a bad talk, using your illness as an excuse if you need to, rather than not do it at all. Honestly - sometimes in life we have to do things when we are feeling below par. It's difficult, but we have to just get on with it.

Agree with that, and sorry to hear about what you're going through. Hope you feel better soon. I'm sure your partners were not avoiding you as such as there is nothing that would warrant such behaviour. Like TreeofLife said, it could be that they were busy or that they thought you were sick and did not want to involve you in what's going on until you get better.

C

Hope you are well now, constantly confused. Take care. I myself am applying for two months' leave of absence due to a recent health issue.

Quote From Constantly_Confused:
Hi all, just want to get something off my chest.

Two weeks ago I caught something nasty; I had gastric flu for around 10 days. :( Puking, sweating, cramps, flu-like symptoms, muscle pain, the works... it was really awful, and I had to take 2 weeks off work. The last few days were mostly so I could recover and ensure I didn't pass whatever the bugs were onto my labmates, especially one of them who is pregnant. Compounding this, I couldn't take my meds for anxiety and depression so now I feel like all my old symptoms are coming back. I have to do a presentation on Friday. I feel like it's expected I would still give the talk despite being ill for 2 weeks but in the past my boss has said "health comes first".

I'm not sure if I can do a talk successfully in front of experts, without my medication being fully effective; and I wondering whether to ask if I can ditch the talk and speak at another mini-conference. However I feel like being off for so long has put me in the bad books. Today none of the lab people would speak to me, I just got on with my work. Will it seem like I am not showing enough interest if I say I don't feel like giving the talk, because I was ill recently? Does it seem like a copout?

CC

As you depicted that your boss suggested you as "health comes first" then why you load?? why are you worried so?? I know it feels little embarrassing when we used return back in our office after such a long time,, but don't worry everything would well n fine in few days..
And lastly all the very best!!