Silly Question! Does your PhD have an introduction?

D

======= Date Modified 25 24 2010 11:24:15 =======
Hey,

I'm just wondering whether I should add an introduction to my PhD?

My literature review has been done in stand alone chapters and so I have no section of text that describes the structure and format of the thesis. Have you done a separate introduction in yours?

It seems a fairly obvious addition, but I'm a little concerned I haven't considered it before (want to submit in the summer!!) :$

Also - What is the difference between a preface and an introduction?!

L

I am only starting this PHd journey so don't know if my view counts!

I am an English student so I dont know if its relevant to your research area but I think I will have an introduction. I'm thinking on having it based on a short story is not one of my main texts but opens up my research area, its main issues, and how I hopefully aim to show how narrative can give new insight into sociological debates (roughly something like this).

But I guess people in scientific fields will probably go for methodology breakdowns etc etc.

L

I am only starting this PHd journey so don't know if my view counts!

I am an English student so I dont know if its relevant to your research area but I think I will have an introduction. I'm thinking on having it based on a short story is not one of my main texts but opens up my research area, its main issues, and how I hopefully aim to show how narrative can give new insight into sociological debates (roughly something like this).

But I guess people in scientific fields will probably go for methodology breakdowns etc etc.

T

Mine certainly does, but I agree it could depend on subject.
In my case the intro is (well, will be when it's finished!) A lit review of the general area and scope of problem, with an outline of what direction I'll be tkaing in the thesis/research. I've then added brief, chapter-specific lit reviews to each experimental chapter. I can imagine though that this could be totally irrelevant in another subject (I do genetics).

J

Hey DrSeeker,

I have a preface and a context chapter.

The preface basically says, chapter by chapter what I'll be talking about. Its only a couple of pages long.

The context (which essentially is the intro) covers the main definitions related to the research subject, as well as any relevant legislation and critiques of this, and then goes on to look specifically at my research questions.

This chapter is then followed by my two lit review chapters.

Hope that helps :-)

D

Thank you for all your replies! I've had a look at the definitions and think I'll be using a preface! I'm jsut amazed I have managed to get to this stage of my PhD without realising I need to do one! :$

K

Hi,

You'll most likely need an introduction (although it does not necessarily need to be titled introduction, depending on what your research is all about). Depending on the research, your introduction may give an overview of the context of the research, why you've chosen to do the research, and a summary of the research that would make the reader want to read more. Your best bet would be to look at past PhD thesis from your department and see how their work has been structured. i hope this helps.

K

L

I would introduce my thesis in the abstract at the start. Introduce the subject in general in the literature review chapter, if it's your first chapter.