So what qualifications do I need?

D

I have a 2:1 BA(hons)Social Work(missed first by one mark as was very pregnant during finals!), and would like to look at doing a phd. I have had another thread re: process of application. I was wondering what the best way of entering was- do an MA in my discipline eg social work, or do a Mphil to lead directly onto Phd, or is it poss to g directly to Phd? If this is possible, is it really wise to do this, as one would be embarking on research without real grounding in research methods?

O

In 9 out of 10 cases it is compulsory to register for an MPhil first. I don't think a MA or MSc is necessary to do a Phd (although I did one) with regard to research methods.

Once you start your PhD/Mphil, you will spend one year minimum with two activities: reading relevant literature for your research topic and attending training courses, e.g. qualitative or quantitative methods and so on.

to summarise, just apply for a PhD (i.e. register for an MPhil) and see what happens.

D

That is a bit clearer! I actually think I have a plan of action, that might see me through to starting a PHD(Mphil) next year!

N

I don't think you will be able to register directly for a PhD. Most universities only allow this if you have started another research degree before. Even if you are allowed to start directly with the PhD program, most probably you will be registered first for a MPhil and in your second year get upgraded to PhD status if your progression is ok. You will probably never submit your MPhil thesis nor obtain the MPhil degree - registration in a MPhil is simply a formal requirement.
That said, in the humanities and social sciences you are usually expected to have a master's degree before you embark on a research program (be it MPhil or PhD). During this masters hopefully you should have become familiar with research techniques and so on.
It is not strictly compulsory to have a masters to start a PhD in the humanities/social sciences but the reality is that almost everybody has one.

P

I think in virtually all cases, PhD students are registered for a Mphil then are 'upgraded' to a PhD after satisfactory progress and a short viva (I think!)

Also, in terms of social science funding bodies such as the ESRC, one would not be able to get funding for a PhD, without having a credited research methods MSc or MA. So I think the movement is towards having completed an MSc/MA before embarking on a PhD. I think previously, you were able to jump from BA/BSc to a PhD, but I don't think that's the 'done' thing these days.

Furthermore, although it takes longer, I'm really glad I did my research training at UCL. Without some extensive training in research methods, I would have been really stuck with my MPhil/PhD, I suspect particularly with my second and third year when it comes to statistically analysing results.

D

I have to say, even if it were possible, which I doubt, I am not sure that jumping straight to Phd would be a good idea. I would have thought that some evidence of understanding and being able to use research methods, would be wise.