So you are getting the coveted PhD... but what next? Where do you go from here?

W

But what do you do next? Obviously Academia is an option.. do a postdoc, then become a lecturer or a world famous researcher! What other options are there?

I have spent the last four years getting a PhD in computer science (VR, graphics and animation) at a top university while working as a research fellow (RF) there but I have come to realise that my options are narrower than when I was a graduate!!! How did that happen?!?

I am thinking of going into investment banking (IB) next! Or maybe management consultancy?

What are the other options out there?

What are the rest of you doing?

Do any of you out there feel as confused as I am?

S

I am fortunate to have an industrial sponsor, so that should give me a few more non-academic options.

H

get married and have babies

W

Gosh I am loosing it. I have a similar thread under PhD life as well... Must stop late night writings that involve anything other than my thesis!!!

W

No babies!

H

Whats wrong with babies?

J

yeah whats wrong with babies?!

W

They are born and look cute but then they open their mouths and scream for everything. Then they grow up and develop opinions about why balamory should be the only thing on TV and books! I don't have experience past that stage. My nephew (darling little thing) is 3 years and my niece is 5 months. I love them to bits but am so glad to give them back at the end of the day!!! Babies are hard work! I thought a thesis was tough! Babies are a whole different deal. So NO Babies unless I simply have to...

S

I agree no babies, they cost a fortune, they keep you awake all night, they mess the house up with puke and god-knows-what-else. They are little horrors, I DO NOT WANT KIDS.

I want to earn money and buy a ferrari before I have kids, so I guess that means no kids.

H

imagine if your mums and dads had thought that, there would be no Stu..... argh I cant imagine it!

W

Also there is the other factor of who is going to bring up your kids: you or the day care center. I was brought up in a typical asian family where my mother stayed at home even though she was a qualified pre-school teacher. We lived in west africa so my mum could afford to stay at home and my dad came home at 6PM. I am gonna be living in London, where the whole family life thing is just not ON. So until I can afford to have them in an environment where my kids can get to know me and/or my fiance (atleast one parent)... no babies! I don't want someone else to bring up my kid.

P

Looks like the discussion is deviated from the actual topic... like wise i think PhD holders will also get deviated from the traditional academic or research posts!! well i have no idea what could that be because I have not even got into PhD!!

H

What2Do - I was also brought up in a traditional (generally) asian family and hope to be a stay at home mum when I eventually have kids. I guess thats a sacrifice I will make just for the sake of maternal instincts.

Before then, I hope to work in industry, which I miss at the moment :(

W

Yup need to get into industry. Show the world that I am not a geek who is afraid to go out of academia.