Some advice needed...

P

Hi all,

this may sound silly...anyway, here goes...what am I supposed to do if I'm attending an event, lets say a seminar or something, where all the high and mighty are coming, and i know "nobody", and am just going to listen to people discuss and talk...the listening bit is ok.BUT what about things like tea and wine reception and so on...I feel extremely awkward..This isnt a conference mind you, its a project event etc etc..

Find out who is going to be there and find out things about them, i.e. areas of expertise so you have something to talk about.

Get your 'elevator pitch' ready i.e. what is your PhD about in 30 seconds

You will have something in common - which will be the things discussed on the day so talk to people about that.

Make sure you have your mobile on you so you can make 'an urgent call' if you find yourself standing by yourself.

I am sure that there will be people like you there who are dying to talk to someone, even if its about the football/eastenders. Good Luck!

P

Thanks sneaks..what if it isnt a conference in my area but more of an event where results from a project are being discussed..am likely to be the only student around actually....others being from organizations, bodies, press etc...?

People will still want to chat about what you do, especially if it is in a relevant field. Remember people love to talk about themselves so start off by asking where they work, why are they here etc. Maybe you will get some job opps out of it!

C

======= Date Modified 15 Sep 2008 14:08:59 =======
Firstly, smile! :-) This makes you, obviously, seem approachable and friendly...

Sometimes if I am fetching a cup of tea from a table or another drink - you can ask the person next to you what they would like as a gesture for opening conversation...:-)

Failing that, the mobile phone for texting is a lifesaver! :$;-)