Some advice on conference papers, slightly confused!

V

Hello everyone!- I've been looking through some past posts about this, but I cant seem to get it clear in my head. I have to present a 'paper' at a social sciences conference soon; the paper is not for publication as it is a strictly small-scale PhD affair, and papers will not be circulated beforehand. My question is: What exactly am I meant to be doing? Should I just prepare a 20 mins presentation on my subject, or should I actually write the paper and then come up with a presentation as well? It just seems slightly pointless to spend my time writing a paper no-one will read, and I ask because my paper is really an ongoing work in progress which will probably need further fieldwork to make it complete...Any advice very gratefully received, as always..

R

Not sure what you mean by 'strictly small scale', but wouldn't your supervisor have given you a direction on this?

V

Hello- by small scale I mean that it is only one day, it will probably just be attended by members of our department and not other depts, universities etc. I have tried asking people, sups etc., but am still not sure.

I would just write an abstract (so it can be put on the website or the welcome notes for the guests); and prepare a presentation for however long your given slot is.

R

ah ok, so it almost sounds like a regular journal club meeting except you're going to talk about your own research thus far.

V

That sounds like good advice 404, thank you. I think it is fairly informal and just an opportunity for departmental staff to talk with each other and stuff, so that should be okay. Thanks again.

V

Posted last message before I read the last one!- yes, its mainly discussing our research and there will be no formal submissions of papers, hence my confusion. Thanks for your commments