Some advices please

S

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I became a member because I need some advice about a possibility to face a PhD.
I'm 29 years old engineer, I have graduated last year and from about a year I work in an architectural studio but the world economics crisis make hard to find new and interesting jobs and projects and in the last period the work is lazy and boring and I haven't any satisfaction.
In this context I have decided to improve my professional skills and now I'm doing a master in building sustainability. In the last period of this course (September 2011) I'll make a stage in research center in Scotlandn(ESRU - University of Strathclyde).
Now, I think wold be great to continue the experience of the stage making a PhD in this structure (I think It's one of the best center in Europe about my filed) but i need to know some things and so I'm asking advice to you.
I don't have a wonderful Degree's grade (a little bigger that 100 and the maximum is 110) and I haven't any publications too. May be I'm too hold...I don't know. How can I do to take contact with a Professor?
Is it easy to find a scholarship?
Please answer not only in relation to that specific University but in relation to any possible PhD outside the Italy (It's not a good period for research here), I'd like to have advice on how to approach a PhD experience in Europe.
May be I was too lengthy and tedious, I'm sorry about that, but I'm concerned about my future.
I hope you can help me.
Kind regards,
Filippo.

S

anyone?

C

I think you've asked too specific questions for a general forum such as this, however I think if you already know you want to work at Strathclyde university you will know the Professer you want to work with? You can just contact them by email to note your interest and see if they would be willing to supervise. With scholarships, they are difficult to find at the moment, and a lot more difficult if you are not a UK national although some are available to students from EU countries, you would need to speak to the potential supervisor to ask if you want to design your own project.

Hope this helps a little, I'm not in your research area so I don't know much more than that I'm afraid.

Caro

D

======= Date Modified 24 Jun 2011 23:18:25 =======
======= Date Modified 24 Jun 2011 20:17:19 =======
I don't know much about the uni except that it is often thought of as Glasgow's 2nd uni established after the much older Uni of Glasgow.  For more info on UK unis I would suggest looking at the Guardian and Times uni guides which are put together by two of the UK's main newspapers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/sunday_times_university_guide/   (I think you have to pay for this one but there may be articles you don't have to pay for)

If you want know to more on how unis rank in research terms then look at the Research and Assessment Excercise website which assesses the research output of unis and then the government uses the results to allocate funding. It's done approx every 5 years.  http://www.rae.ac.uk/

As you are going to be at Strathclyde for part of your Masters the best way to look for a PhD is to ask around and see who has got funding or how you can get funding.
Things to consider - You need to find:
1) A topic you're PASSIONATE about otherwise you'll struggle to keep your motivation in the hard times or if your supervisor is not interested!
2) A GOOD supervisor - i.e. one that helps and is supportive who you get on with. It'll make the process easier.
3) A good working environment - e.g. supportive dept and good sociable postgrads who aren't too stressed (!!!)
4) Source of funding:  Usually one of the following -
i) A specific pre-defined PhD project which is part of a larger grant awarded to your supervisor
ii) You write a proposal and submit it into an open competition with other potential students for funds from a research council or dept/uni funds
iii) You contact your supervisor to talk about projects and he offers you one which has funding attached usually from the uni.

There shouldn't be too much difference between the different types of funding apart from the amount paid as this varies between research councils and subjects and unis too!

The info above applies to UK unis as I don't know much about the system in other European countries.  In the UK EU students and UK students are the same rate but students from elsewhere have to pay the international rate which is more expensive. Just apply for any projects you like the look of and talk to people to see if they have projects on offer.  You can also e-mail academics in the research area you are interested and see if they have any projects on offer.

You are not too old as it doesn't matter what age you are.  It is good to have had life experience so you know what to expect when you start unlike some people who have gone straight through the educational system. Your motivation and determination should mean you are more focused.

Good luck - it's a tough process to find one so don't give up if that's what you really want.  You need to be clear about the reasons why you are doing one!

D

Hi!

I come from an engineering background too, and started my PhD at a similar age for very similar reasons, as working in the industry can be really demotivating after a few years.
I can't generalise, but I enrolled for a masters, where I had a chance to work with a bunch of academics and choose my supervisors, who also helped me get funding. I highly recommend to know your supervisors and have worked together prior on some short research project, a publication or a dissertation.
PhD studentship is normally far less than money than what an engineer normally gets.  Calculating the amount of time I put in my PhD it is like I am getting paid 1 pound per hour or similar :)
So, since the reason is not financial, find something that is really stimulating, and make sure that you will enjoy the experience.

Good luck,