Some good news for me!

W

Get this! I have had an abstract accepted to give an oral presentation at the most major conference for my general discipline later this year! I have a 10 minute slot with 5 minutes of question time after. It's going to be packed with the most important and major researchers in my discipline, so basically, everyone who is anyone is going to be there. I am excited because this is a massive coup for me! I'm nervous because it's packed with real experts and they could pick me to bits...
What a day of contrasts it has been for me.

Congratulations, that's great news8-)

S

Well done Walminski!! That's excellent!!!(up)

Make the most of it. I presented at a major conference in my discipline last year, and organised beforehand to have lunch with 2 of my international examiners (tho they don't know I want them to examine my thesis yet), and also schmoozed a lot. These things are the best, they make all the drudgery and pain worthwhile.

Good for you!

S

I was hoping there was some sort of alcohol emoticon, but I guess not.

Well done! Have a sprout (sprout)!

P

Hi Wally!!!! Brilliant, rock their socks off! These are important networking and schmoozing events (an aspect at which I suck like nobody can ever suck!) but I'm sure your performance will make people come and talk to you :-) so that's a start!

S

I am happy for you!!! :-) (up)

well done Wal! Maybe speak for 13 mins and then sip water for two and then there will be no time for horrible questions!

A

Congratulations Wally!! that's really brilliant news, especially after the hard time you've been having!! Don't worry about all the people who will be there (although I know that you will anyway :-) ) just remember that you know more about your project than anyone else and if they come up with some suggestions or things that you've not thought of it's a good thing, and better at a conference than your viva! ;-)
I'm just back from my first conference presentation myself, and after spending weeks freaking out about it, and a very tense 2 days stalking my supervisor getting him to check my talk, I had quite a lot of rescue remedy before my talk and it went went really well! There were lots of expert people in the audience, including the 'Yoda' of my field who was sitting in the front row assessing the talk (bloody scary), and I ended up winning a prize for best student talk! So just stay calm and you've got lots of time to prepare for it and you'll be great! Congrats again!(up)

P

Congrats Algae queen!

Wally wally, the same happened to me just now!!! I got accepted to *the* biggest thing in our field!!! It's the annual gen conference of the biggest internatiooanl association in our discipline.

THe email goes -

Dear Phd Bug,

Congratulations! Your submission, "xyz," has been selected for the 2010 conference. This year we again had a record number of submissions, and we were able to accept approximately x% of them. Congratulations on your work being among them!

etc etc...

Gosh, my sup read the draft and made me re-write it so mnay times that I hated her for it, and now of course I love her for it!

:-)

P

Congrats to everyone!!!

(not sure this is the time to steal the limelight...)

I'm really p'd off because there isn't anything massive going in my direct field, and there hasn't been since I started the PhD; maybe that means there defo will be something when I'm further on, and have more to show off. I'd love to organise something myself at my department, later on, maybe.

K

======= Date Modified 17 Jan 2010 22:55:35 =======
DP

K

Quote From Phd_smug:

(not sure this is the time to steal the limelight...)

Too true. Well done the Walmiester.

M

Well done! Now we can all aspire to be as successful!

Quote From mathkitty:

Well done! Now we can all aspire to be as successful!

Here here!