Somebody wants to take my topic

E

======= Date Modified 15 58 2010 08:58:16 =======
Dear all, I have registered my PhD one year ago, and now there is a girl from another university in the same country wants to register a topic very very close to mine. I almost discus all her topic in mine. In the same time she told me do not worry, should I ???? I think she should be worry that her topic may be rejected, shouldn't she?? what is your opinion????

I would wait and see if their proposal is rejected - it may not be. If not, then I would be VERY wary about giving them anything of yours e.g. references, sections of lit review - make them do the work that you had to do!

I wouldn't be too concerned though, you are ahead, so it gives you motivation to get things published etc. I am in a similar situation with a girl who has just started her PhD at a different institution but luckily I'm getting a publication out in the next month or so which is on her PhD topic, so that will make me feel a lot calmer.

If they do get it I would treat it as motivation. It is unlikely they will be exactly the same, and you never know there may be some opportunities for joint publication e.g. if you tackle the same problem with different methods

E

======= Date Modified 15 Apr 2010 09:07:33 =======
Some times I am really stupid, yesterday I sent her my plan:-(:-( . But her reply make me feel worry, cause she said do not worry, as if I am the new student!!!! Although it is obvious that my plan covers all her topic. So, it is better to publish a part of my work.

B

I had a similar problem, but in my case it was another current student who had started at about the same time as me, at another university, and was doing a very closely related topic. We met to discuss where there was overlap, where difference. Unfortunately the other student moved closer to my topic over time, and as a full-timer (I'm part-time) he completed his PhD before me. But my work was still distinctive enough, and I recently passed my viva. Oh and I published first.

Be very careful about sending any more detailed information about your research to other students / academics etc. It's best to keep that sort of thing close to your chest. I was very hedgy about what I said to the other student, and he did the same to me.

I wouldn't worry Emaa at least now you can talk to make sure you aren't covering EXACTLY the same stuff. I've had a few people like that - who started after me, but patronise me. Just ignore it, they're probably really anxious about the overlap anyway and as with all PhDs, the topic will probably dramtically change over the first year.

Don't let them have any refs etc - (unles they are ones to throw them off track :p )

E

Many thanks girls, I cannot imagine how much I was stupid to send her my work. However, it is a good lesson for the next time.

J

I wouldn't worry too much, but if you are in contact with her I should point out that it won't be a good idea if you both head off down exactly the same route, and suggest that since you are ahead, she needs to make sure hers is different to yours and not the other way round as yours will be in first (hopefully!!!). Take charge and don't let her bully you. I agree about keeping stuff to yourself, that's why I'm a bit wary about what I do at conferences etc., just in case. I've read stuff and thought oh no, that's what I'm doing, but then I realsie that its only the basics that are the same, and my take on the subject is different, and it isn't really like mine at all - well so far it hasn't been anyway.:-)