Sophie - the Quantum Physicist in the Apprentice

H

Actually no Adem, I didn't assume that. Even with a big company such as GSK, the salaries of the scientists is pathetic compared to what the non-scientists get. It's only slightly more than a smaller company.

H

I should also add that advantages of working for a big pharma are the benefits you get - bonus, health insurance (although small companies do this too), being treated out, pension scheme, life insurance etc.
A lot of big companies do this, not just in pharma. It's cheaper than paying out big salaries.

Disadvantages of working for a big pharma include, you could end up being stuck in the same project for years and years. However it would be much less stressful (and potentially boring).

R

talking of shareholders, dont a lot of these comapnies pay you in shares. So you get a (small) cut of the profits (dividends) and have a vested intrest in working hard, to make your shares worth more money.

J

they pay in shares but employee ownership accounts for about 3% - its only in the states when employees made millions from companies such as microsoft and others along the silicon valley. hoping to work in such a company and make such a salary i would say is a stab in the darkv - unless ofcourse you start the company yourself.

H

Additionally, you can only sell the shares (if you wish) after being at the company for a certain number of years. If you leave before then, you get nothing.