standard of writing

R

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been covered already (I know there's been some lit review threads recently) but I'm currently writing a lit review that's due before xmas. I'm in my 1st year (started oct) and my sup wants me to write at least 7000 words, which is not too bad as I've already got 5,500 and currently editing those before adding the rest of it. My question is how much did you have to change your writing style to make it 'PhD level'? I've been told by my sup that my writing style is good, but this was at MSc level (he was my MSc tutor). So far I think what I've written is reasonably good but I'm not sure if it's at the right level yet. My sup wants to me to write the review to check I understand my topic as it's in a different field to my MSc dissertation, and to assess my writing style. I think I understand the basic concepts and am hoping that I can demonstrate some understanding of the more complicated things. I'm just wondering how much of a step up is there from good writing at MSc level to good writing at PhD level?

It probably sounds like a silly question but it's been bugging me a bit.

K

Hey Pixie! I guess it depends on how good you were at MSc level! Personally I quite enjoy the written side of the PhD, and didn't find the jump from MSc that hard in terms of writing quality and style, but I would have been in a mess if I hadn't done the MSc. I also had to write a lit review at the beginning of my PhD and my supervisor said straight away that I was working at PhD level, so this boosted my confidence- although I have still had quite a lot to learn as I didn't have experience of writing for journals etc. So I think if your sup praises your writing at MSc level then you shouldn't find it too bad to adjust to PhD level. Basically you need to be writing stuff that is publishable, and once you get your head around the technicialities involved in that you will be okay. I know some people who hate writing and have found it hard to adjust and reach the standard, but there should be writing courses to take and of course you have a year or two to practise before it needs to be spot on. So I would just hand in your lit review and see what the feedback is- perhaps explain when you hand it in that you would specifically like some feedback on your writing style. When you've got a bit of confidence it's also a good experience to write for publication, because then you get feedback from people other than your supervisor too. Enjoy and good luck! KB

R

Hi Keenbean thanks for your reply. I guess you're right, if I managed to write well at MSc then I should be able to do this. Incidentally I got a distinction for my dissertation and I do enjoy writing so maybe I am winding myself up over nothing. It's probably because I've been told that my sup wants me to do the PhD by publication and aiming to get the first paper submitted towards the end of my first year. Which sounds a bit scary because I haven't actually done any 'work' yet, all I've been doing is the lit review. Mainly because I've been stuck at home for the last 6 weeks recovering from foot surgery and as I am in physical geography there's not a lot else that can be done from home! Luckily I'm allowed to go back to uni tomorrow and have a meeting with my sup so hopefully I can find out where I'm going next after the lit review is done.

But for now I will focus on getting and done and I will make sure I ask him for plenty of feedback.

Hope is all going well with your PhD :-)