Start my PhD in September

J

Finally got the interview I've been waiting for, and I must have done something right cos I've done it! Got the place I wanted, to start in September, all I have to do now is find the fees....ah, knew there was a catch somewhere...

E

Congratulations on getting a place! If you really set your mind to making/saving money you will be able to do it!

Even if you have to get a job stacking shelves in tesco or asda full time from now until september you will be on your way. I worked full-time night shift stacking shelves in tesco and got paid £1200 per month!

Another avenue you could explore is getting a Career Development loan. Barclays do them!

Good luck!!

D

Congratulations! At least a PhD is cheaper than (some) Masters. Career Development Loans can be an option, as can various trusts/charities (depending on your circumstances).

B

If you have to then so be it, but I'd personally advise against Career Development Loans (before you know it, you'll be in debt up to your eyeballs ... and at some point in the future - when you'll probably need to be saving - this money will need paying back!).

If you can't secure funding, try to get a job that fits around your PhD (e.g. part-time lecturing if you can get it, or a job that requires no 'brain power' - i.e. stacking shelves/working in an office).

J

Thanks for the replies - I'm staying well away from loans of any kind, got into trouble as an undergraduate and I'm not going down that road again! I already work full time, have been offered a place for a part time PhD, so the fees aren't as bad as they could be but don't have much leeway with my wage at the mo. Charities/trusts seems to be the way forward, got a few letters to send out to local places so fingers crossed

B

Good plan Ju (wise move not to get into anymore debt!), and good luck with the start in September!

Is your PhD related to the employment you are currently in?

J

Thanks BB. Unfortunately the PhD has absolutely nothing to do with my job, that would've made things easier lol. I work in secondary education though, so no chance of funding from there anyway if that's what you were thinking