Started my Second Year and still don't know what I'm doing...

A

I'm now a month into my second year and I still don't really know where I'm going - is this normal? What stage should I be at?

I've written a thesis structure and I do have an idea (ish) of where I want to go, but I just don't know where, or how, to start going about it. I'm worried that I'm going to do something wrong and disappoint everyone.

What should I be doing at this stage? Should I be reading about different methodologies? How much should I need to know about these methodologies before progressing with my primary research?

I feel really disorganised and unmotivated, and I don't know how to get myself out of this slump - any ideas?

Thank you.

H

Have you done a lit review? Are you pure science or social or something else?

T

Its a good thing that you have a thesis outline, maybe it would be a good idea to schedule a '2nd year' meeting with your supervisor to discuss your plan and come up with a plan of work for the next year.

A

Hi H, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've written most of my Lit Review and just want to keep adding to it. My area is social sciences and I'm a bit scared to get out of my comfort zone really. I could just keep adding and adding to my Lit Review when I should probably be thinking about where to go now. I'm finding it a bit scary to actually get my own information instead of using other peoples. I'm also not 100% sure what stage I should be at because I'm getting conflicting information from people.

H

There are quite a few people in social sciences on here so they will give you a good idea on what you should be doing (hopefully). It does sound like you have done quite a bit so don't worry.

Good luck!

A

Hi Tricky, Thanks for your reply. I have a progress meeting coming up (probably why I'm beginning to panic) and I'm worried that they will be disappointed that I have no concrete primary research plans and don't really know much about the different methodologies. I've been looking at sample Transfer Reports and they seem so detailed in comparison to what I have. I think I've been spending too much time reviewing the literature when I should have been looking forward.

A

======= Date Modified 16 Sep 2008 14:49:22 =======

Quote From H:

There are quite a few people in social sciences on here so they will give you a good idea on what you should be doing (hopefully). It does sound like you have done quite a bit so don't worry.

Good luck!

Great, I'll keep a look out for them. I never really think I've done enough work, even though I've been working on it a lot over the past year. I must try to be more organised though.

Thank you

B

First things first - calm the digger, you're nowhere near a slump and if anything, you might be able to actually get ahead. If you have an idea, that is half the battle. What you need to do is look at this area specifically and see how it was tackled by previous research - then you might get a better idea of how to make your project unique. Get these papers looked at soon (in the next 1-2 months) and develop your idea. I know every PhD is different but realistically it is the 18-20 month mark that people get an absolute idea of what they want to do (this should be after a somewhat 70-80% complete Lit review, which the other respondent so rightly alluded that you should have someway done by now, but if not, don't have a litter of kittens just yet).
In brief, look at previous research into the area (or similar areas) and then propose a means of making your study unique (this could be based on geographical or demographical factors ... or simply that you propose to use a different methodology from previous research (for example case study as opposed to the use of surveys) .
I have been there and to be honest, have lost a good six months work, so just trying to stop you from having your brain wrecked. Sure, there is a lot of work to be done yet, but are you behind? NO!
Assuming it is late in the day there, just go online and try to find a few papers similar to the area of your research (use phrases such as case study). Also, as H suggested, get the Lit Review done - if not, at least get a rough draft.

A

Bonzo - Thank you so much! You have really made me feel so much better. I've started to have irrational fears, which are stopping me from progressing and I really need to just stop being so silly! I have an idea of how I can offer something original, so I'm going to take your advice and look at similar papers now. Thank you, again, so much.

B

Not a bother. As for methodologies (if using case studies, surveys or anything similar), take a gawk at
COHEN, L., MANION, L. & MORRISON, K. (2000) Research Methods in Education, London, Routledge.

Although this book is centred around educational research, they do extensively cover all the main methodologies and refer to the central papers, but it only covers the main areas.

It will be hard tying down an idea and then proposing how you finish your project from there, but you are not behind - although that said, I wouldn't just yet head off to the pub for the afternoon

:p

R

Don't agonise about your methodology yet - your research questions, whatever you want to investigate, should help to dictate whatever methodology you adopt. One method might work better than others for producing the results you're after. No point in dipping into whatever's out there until you know what you want them for.

B

I agree with RubyW that it is key to get your research question first and then fit the mthodology around that ... might seem a bit difficult but don't worry - once you get the question, go to your supervisor and ask him/her how to advance that. Believe it or not, that is their job.

When it does come down to methodology, if going down either case study or especially surveying, make sure you try to fit your line of questions and the type of questioning to fit a statistical model. In brief, meet up with a statistical analyst from your maths dept. for advise before compiling your questionaires/surveys.

Hope the panic is over and the plans coming along for the second year. Good luck and keep the boat afloat (up)