starting on monday....still waiting for studentship news!

C

Hej!

Yay...I finally start my PhD on Monday! I'm still waiting to hear about a studentship though..I'm rotting on the reserve list. Eek. In any case, at least I have a part-time job to carry me through...

Good luck to any other PhD freshers!

C

Thanks, I got a letter in mid August stating the list I was on, my position and said they would let me know asap. I'm guessing I will hear next week at some point. I went out and got new stationary today....just like being at school again. That precious illusion that brand new Paperchase and W H Smith products could bring academic achievment! All the enthuiasm and promise so bright in September, but sullied and dirty by November. lol

S

Enthusiasm is a good thing. From what other people have told me on this board I think we have to pace ourselves for what is a long marathon, so racing out of the blocks too quickly will invite trouble later. That said, I personally can't wait to get started.

T

Good Luck chrisrolinski

I can't wait to get started either

C

Endurance and perspiration! Sounds like hard work. lol

I'm sitting out in the sun half reading a paper in preparation for my first meeting on Monday. Then I had better read through my proposal so I know where to start from!

I'm so excited, but yeah: I'll pace myself.

A

Tomorrow I have my first official meeting with my supervisors...we'll see how it goes! good look to all of the first-timers

F

Good Luck, what are you doing your PhD on? I start on the 2nd of October.

C

My PhD will be on natural history specimens and the collection of live animals in seventeenth and eighteenth century. So it will involve early modern musuems and science and the formation of ways of constructing scientific knowledge. But mostly it will involve looking at pretty animals.

F

Thats cool, I have worked in museums for the last four years. 1 was voluntary and full of surgical bits & bobs (as well as anatomy specimens).