statistics - methodology help

H

hi all, am a law student trying to come up with a table to show the revenues earned by companies over the particular period of time. i have a group of companies say 100, i need to choose a number of them. probably 30%. is that a good sample? what is the name of this method of sampling - someone told me it is random sampling. (i don't have any clue about stats but am learning the 5 months to submission - not good!) my question is:

1) how do i describe my methodology - is 'random sampling' an academic method?
2) if i use random sampling is my study qualitative/quantitative or what? i also intend to hand out a number of questionairres.
3) are there any books i can read on this?

this data forms only a small part of my thesis and its only serves to elaborate what am already saying by providing background information. i rely on 'argument'/ theory to make my thesis using comparative case-study. i also look at stuff from other disciplines. how do i describe my method? any views are helpful.

hailey (love you all. xx)

K

Hey Hailey! The type of sampling depends on how you are going to choose the 30 or so companies. Are you planning to use a particular method to choose which of the companies you're going to include? Whether your study is quantitative or qualitative doesn't really depend on the type of sampling you use- it's more to do with the type of data you have/are going to collect. For example, interview data is often analysed using a qualitative approach, whereas questionnaire data is often analysed statistically and that would usually be a quantitative approach. That's only a very simplistic answer- there are exceptions. Any decent stats book should have a discussion of these queries! Best, KB

H

thanks KB. I was going to using the randomising function on the calculator. i think its quantitative am using them because although i have interviews they are much less and informal than the questionairres. i will get a hold of a stats bk.

is 30% considered a decent sample?

H

Sample size depends on
(i) what you're measuring/what your hypothesis is
(ii) how much variation you expect to see between your study subjects (in this case companies)

When you get hold of a textbook suitable for your field look at 'sample size calculations' and that should help.

As a rough guide, if the answers to your survey question are numbers (e.g. revenue) or can be coded into categories (yes/no, high/low/medium) then you can do statistical analyses and it's a quantitative study. If your responses are free text and then you're picking out common phrases/themes etc it's qualitative. I suspect your work will be quantitative (or you can make sure you ask the questions in such a way that it is).

BTW - my perspective is as an epidemiologist and for me this stuff really matters. For you, maybe the sample size can be estimated - you could sweat and toil to make all of this perfect and then it doesn't matter to your examiners. As a general rule with any stats, if the stats matter and you're not an expert, it's a good idea to run it past a statistician in your department before you go too far.