Still unemployed a year after graduating :(

R

======= Date Modified 19 Jan 2012 12:36:34 =======
www.researchjobfinder.com

At this point in time, you are better off doing something like an MA in Marketing than a PhD in anything at all, quite frankly - but as others have said, we just have to make the most of them - but academia is a dead end nowadays and few people will develop directly relevant careers from their PhD any more.

Incidentally, the way to develop an academic career is basically to have a supervisor/mentor who is well known, who is willing to put the hours in to help you write papers, introduce you to influential people elsewhere and almost act like a recruitment consultant for you. All of the people I know who managed to secure lectureships with surprisingly under-developed CVs had access to that.

D

Thanks for the link. What I don't like and I'm glad I didn't fall for it was the idea of self-funding that is often pushed by some academics. I was encouraged by some to self fund and attempts were made to sell the idea on the basis that it would pay in the long run....thankfully I never believed that and actually did a funded PhD largely for the income it would provide!

W

Re. The self-funding issue.

I'm not sure about this. Some subjects particularly in the humanities have less funding opportunities available and huge competition for such funds. I know of a phd graduate who went to three very good universities and was fully funded but just could not get a job and eventually had to retrain and do something else. On the other hand, I know a phd graduate who was self-funded and after a few years of temporary lectureships he just got his first permanent job.

I don't think it is all about the funding but who you know seems to be a big issue these days. I worked with someone who told me his son was nearing mid-30s and still no full-time or permanent work and that any phd is a risk in the first instance. I thought this was a good point.

R

Quote From woodengiraffe:

I don't think it is all about the funding but who you know seems to be a big issue these days. I worked with someone who told me his son was nearing mid-30s and still no full-time or permanent work and that any phd is a risk in the first instance. I thought this was a good point.

I think this is a very good point - when you decide to commence a PhD it is you who is taking the (sadly very real) risk of impairing your own long-term career potential (and lifetime earnings) by doing so.

Sorry to have to be so blunt about it, but that's how it is.

D

I was unemployed before doing the PhD and did it in order to pay off debts which were severely dragging me down - I'm now completely debt free. I thought the PhD would carry me through the recession and it has eased pressures greatly but honestly, even before starting, I was pretty convinced it would not help me gain employment. Had I self funded I'd be absolutely livid at this point because I'd have my original debts and more from self funding.

J

======= Date Modified 01 Feb 2012 09:27:38 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
--inappropriate content--

T

You do not yet need PHD at all Universities. Indeed, I have been seeking supervison without success. Whether you can do PHD depends on the interest of the supervisor and supervision is not always great.Beware also- because your ideas can be taken. Despite qualifications at a high level, several publications including books, and experience as a lecturer, I am not accepted as a permanent lecturer. Even other lecturers wonder why as they have less qualifications and no publications. Some Universities like people they know and especially ex students. Universities need to be more open and adopt individuals with other research interests and new ideas. So far, they are controlling the development of He education and research.