strange requests to review African Journal of Biology...

C

I wonder if anyone else gets these or has recieved these in the past? Every few weeks I am sent a email from the editor (or someone who purports to be the editor) of the African Journal of Biotechnology with a polite (but lengthy and never variable) request to review an article which is attached as a word file. These seem to be genuine articles - only, even though I am in a unrelated field of study I can tell that these article are not, urm politely, particularly high or moderate impact factor.

I am actually in the humanities (history/history of science) and have no idea where this journal got my details from - perhaps a weblist or institutional list? Anyway, what do you people think - genuine though misplaced attempts to get reviewers or a front sham to provoke email contact and further details...?

It always asks for a response in 72 hours - which I am sure would not be the timescale given for a normal journal review period givne the time I have waited for my publications to get reviewed!!!!

Do they ask for your bank details along with your review? Is the Editor called George Agdgdgwngo? Are you also informed about a very rich, very distant relative who has also passed away?

Whatever the reasons, this sounds very suspect indeed - perhaps a positive reply would prime them for future targeting of fraud...