Stressing for the next 40 minutes

J

HELP

I have just (about 10 mins ago) realised I have mislaid my data stick which (despite my reminding undergrads on a regular basis) has not been backed up for about 3 weeks.

On it are all my lecture notes written for this year so far but more importantly there is loads of PhD stuff.

I am hoping that I left it in the computer in the room I was teachign in this morning but I have been down there and someone is in it until 4pm.

N

Fingers crossed! It probably is still in there if you were using there and haven't been anywhere else. It's an easy think to leave behind!

P

I was in the same situation a while ago. Don't panic! When I went back the stick wasn't there, but I reasoned that none of the students would take it from the computer as they probably would not notice it. I also reasoned that any member of staff would hand it in as they would be aware that it could have very important stuff on it. Or if no-one had noticed it would still be there. All good outcomes.
Mine had been handed in but it took me a while to find the right place, eventually I checked with security and the woman there said she thought there was something similar to what I was describing in her desk. I held my breath for a few minutes but was so relieved when it turned up there.
I'm sure you will get it back.

W

I really hope it turns up for you.

J

Went back and the lecturer was still there but sadly my stick wasn't.

Am going to check with secutiry lodge but don't hold out much hope. Problme is that as well as loads of PhD stuff (not backed up for a couple of weeks) there is confidential student stuff (references etc) and lots of other stuff.

And it's my wedding anniversary & I promised my husband I would be home early

S

hi jepsonclough
try not to don't worry; maybe someone has kept the usb for you
I've done this before; I was printing a letter in the LIBRARY when I just rushed out with the computer on and my account still logged on!!!! I didn't even remember it until I went to bed.
I know the feeling.

love satchi

J

I stressed all last night (which was our wedding anniversary and so instead of being delighted that my husband had bought me the same flowers as I had in my bouquet I walked straight past them to look what back-ups I had on my home computer :$)

BUT I am now ecstatic because the lady who sells the tea and coffee in the Senior Common Room had found it and put it in the till for safe keeping) :-)

Needless to say I am now backing it up (and my wonderful husband is buying me some software that will back it up automatically every time I put it in my computer):-x

C

Yay! Great news, Jepsonclough! And what a fabulous husband you have - thoughtful bouquets AND software!

Quote From jepsonclough:

I stressed all last night (which was our wedding anniversary and so instead of being delighted that my husband had bought me the same flowers as I had in my bouquet I walked straight past them to look what back-ups I had on my home computer :$)

wow, you have got him well trained! My hubs wouldn't even know that I had a bouquet lol.

congrats on finding it! Now back it up - my friend lost her entire data stick contents, we don't know how, we think she may have left it near her mobile, but its wiped clean and IT couldn't do anything to retrieve the data!

J

Thank you for all the words of encouragement - I've awarded thank you votes for those of you I haven't already voted for :-)

The really annoying thing was that immediately before I lost it I was having a conversation about the importance of backing up with an undergrad who had a virus which wiped her memory stick. Do as I say, not as I do!

C

Thank you for this thread Jepsonclough, it made me go :$ (closest to panic I could find) I haven't backed up in a while. Guess what I'll be doing today?!

Nothing worse than that panicky, I've lost all my work feeling. They should invent a data stick that screams if you leave it! (then again maybe I shouold invent one and take it on dragons den!)

C

Great news on finding it Jepsonclough!!!

A similar thing happened to me a while back and a friend came up with a great suggestion afterwards which seemed so obvious I couldn't believe I had never done it. Luckily my mem stick turned up as well, but I still used the suggestion which was....

Save a word file on the drive with all my contact details, phone numbers, email, department info etc and name the file "please open this if you find this memory stick" (or something similar). Obviously requires the finder to be an honest chap or chapess but I have done this ever since though having lost it the once I am a bit more obsessive about backup and knowing where everything is so hopefully would not get caught out again anyway (mods we need a fingers crossed icon rather than a thumbs up!)(up)