Struggling to keep going

E

I'm half way through now time-wise but it doesn't feel like it outputs wise. Despite often enjoying the research process at the moment it feels like a massive uphill struggle and one which fills me with fear. I'm waking up anxious, can't sleep and feel tired and lacking of motivation during the day. It feels like I've got a plethora of literature and data and yet I don't know how to make progress. I've finally got a bit of structure for my writing, but I can't seem to organise my literature and notes so that it's easy to draw upon. I use endnote, and keep a research diary, but still it feels like I'm swamped and without direction. Any tips anyone?

D

It seems like you are on a right track.

Try to eliminate stress and insomnia (well, easier said than done)

and it might be worth taking writing courses. I also struggle with structuring information in a clear and comprehensive way. Writing down everything that is in my head, and then editing helps at times like this.

E

Hi Dr Jeckyll,

Thanks for your advice and support! Typically with the roller-coaster that is a PhD, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic. I have to definitely recommend exercise and writing out your thoughts first thing in the morning to anyone feeling a little over-whelmed by it all. Just those two little adjustments have really helped.

U

I was just thinking about doing just that Elderflower!

When you're knee deep in work and things aren't going well, it's easy to miss the forest for that single stupid tree which isn't growing like it should! That frustration can really wear you down bit by bit to the point you just wonder "what's the point of it all."

And it was after feeling that way for a while that I realised maybe I should actually write down what's the point of doing a PhD. Why am I doing it? What's that spark that got me started in the first place? So I've written that down and stuck it up on a wall to remind me.

Of course if the spark's gone then that's something else ....