Struggling to make changes to proposal

J

Hi
I submitted my (limited to 2 pages) formal proposal PhD (part-time) to the Research Committee a couple of months ago - it didn't pass but the changes are minor so it will go through on chair's action. I met a couple of weeks ago with the independent scrutinizer and he has given me some feedback, my supervisors feel that it is only a few hours work to make the changes. But I just can't do it - I keep looking at it and then find something else (like marking first year undergrad essays) to do.
There is no problem with my subject and the justification was apparently very good. My problem is with my methodology which comes down at the end of the day to my not yet knowing what I will do - I have argued (and supervisors agreed but said you still have to do it) that how can I specify a methodology when I have only just started to engage with the literature and I have had no research training since my MSc (at the same uni but almost entirely focussed on SPSS). I will definitely be doing some qual (observations) and interviews and maybe some quant (to determine who the visitors are) so mixed methods but beyond that I really don't know.

What did other people do? My research is on visitor interpretation at geosites so I am looking at visitor motivations, expectations, interactions with interpretation and also doing content analysis on exiting interpretation followed by gap analysis between existing and desired interpretation. I want to do research in US National Parks because they provide more information to visitors but also in the UK because it is more accessible.

I've been told I need to cover:
Research Philosophy
Research Instrument
Population
Locations
Pilot Study.

Can anyone (social science, geography, management) help me please?

Chris
PS My research proposal for my MSc (distinction) was the crappiest mark I got - barely above 50 - so I think in my head I have decided I can't do research proposals :-(

W

Jepsonclough, I have some books on research philosophy, research frameworks, designing a research proposal, mixed methods and such like. I'd be happy to send them to you if you think they'll help? Sorry, I can't be more helpful in giving you specific advice.

J

Thanks for the offer Wally - shortage of books is not the main issue - it's having the time to read and digest them and get the methodology into a few hundred words (when I really am not sure of the specifics until I do some more literature and some investigations) - oh and do it all before 31/3 because the chair of the research committee is going away.

I've had a skim of some books and put some buzz words like "furthermore methodological triangulation will be utilised to validate findings from covert ethnographic observation of visitor interaction with interpretation and subsequent semi-structured interview" in to the methodology (which I have expanded a bit).  Fingers crossed they will accept it.

Am really not sure I can write in academese though. I'm more of a straight forward "don't use 5 words / syllables when one will do kinda girl" (who am I kidding - middle-aged rapidly heading towards old age woman) - guess I am goign to have to get more used to it though.

Thanks for the offer - sometimes it helps to know someone is rooting for you.