Studentship interview

L

Hi,

I have been invited to a studentship interview but requested a Skype/phone interview as I am unable to travel to the University due to a slipped disc. Have I shot myself in the foot ie put myself at a disadvantage because I am unable to attend in person? Will this matter?

Any thoughts are very welcome!
Lizzie

C

I think Skype interviews are part and parcel of interviewing now. A friend of mine got her studentship via a Skype interview. I'd probably put in some extra practice just due to the strangeness of having an interview that's not done in person, and to make sure you feel completely comfortable using it. When I had my studentship interview, the panel told me the one before mine was done on Skype and they had a dog running around on camera for most of it!

T

To be honest, I think it does make a difference when you have interviews via skype. It's just less personal and you are less likely to make a connection and therefore less likely to get the position. Having said that, there are success stories as Chickpea has said.

L

I feared as much. Thanks for your honesty.
If I try and make the journey, I fear I am going to be on a huge amount of pain killers, I will put the disc at risk, I will be exhausted and reliant on someone driving me for a 3+ hour journey each way as I can't get the train. I also won't be able to walk around the campus etc on the planned tour because I have very limited movement and can only walk very slowly. I did my Masters in the same faculty so I know the faculty and uni but it still isn't the same. And I want this so so much.

T

Well I think you have an advantage by knowing the faculty anyway so it's probably not as important for you. If the faculty like you, you are already ahead of the other candidates so I wouldn't worry too much about it being via Skype.

L

Thanks Treeoflife. I am going to go for it and give it my best shot as I do really want it. I don't know if they 'like' me but I love the faculty and loved doing my MA there. It is my first interview for a studentship, so I am trying to prep properly, but it is a little daunting. I guess also, I didn't want them to think that I couldn't be bothered to go because I have already studied there ie that I presumed an advantage. I certainly don't, it is just very bad luck that my disc has collapsed!

Thanks also, Chickpea! I have a parakeet who lives on my shoulder most of the day, so will be sure to leave him in another room! And great to know your friend had a success via Skype!
Lizzie

L

I didn't get it - totally gutted!!!

T

Sorry about that :(

Are you able to ask for any feedback?

L

Thanks TreeofLife! :-( indeed. I will ask certainly, I think it would be very useful!!

I wish I could have gone down and taken part in the tour and lunch with the college of humanities (even though I did my MA there) and that, even though it was over Skype, I wasn't so nervous!!! I am kicking myself but there is nothing I could do about not going down -it would have been hugely painful. The panel were all really lovely and kind, but the first question 'how will your proposed research make an original contribution?' stumped me a bit!
Thanks for all the advice though - hugely appreciated.
Lizzie x

L

So many students are freaked out about so many things, but the truth is these people don't have an intension to fail you! Skype interview is just as normal as a live interview :)

L

Well, they initially only offered Skype to international students and I am a home student, but currently with a spinal injury so travelling the 320 round trip not an option, and meant I missed formalities of the day ie lunch with the faculty and tour etc. My first Skype interview for anything and whether it was normal or not, I missed out on major parts of the day. They were lovely but I would have liked to have been there with other candidates.Thanks for the reassurance though :--)