Studying another MSc

M

Dear all,

I would like to start by mentioning that I graduated last year with a Masters in Immunology and have been looking for work since December last year. I recently relocated to new home in London and now I'm thinking about studying for another masters in Molecular Biology, so that I don't have spend the next year doing nothing. I'm Hoping that after I gain the second MSc- with distinction this time- I will apply for a PhD in London with my University.

I would like to know what opinions other people have about this and whether anyone else has had a similar experience in the past.

A

Hi Malsaffar,

Congratulations on a masters in immunology! Personally, I would say think about undertaking a second in another science subject VERY seriously! why do you want to do one, is it just to keep you busy, if so I would go and get work experience for a year and spend the time finding funding for a phD in the meantime! I work in a microbiology lab, and we have a guy who finished PhD two years ago almost after having 2 masters in science subjects and he sadly can't find a job as he has hardly any real work experience except for undergrad, masters, masters, phD and is a bit older now (obviously don't know your age, and it shouldnt be an issue but when 40+ and fighting with 24 year olds for first postdocs I think he finds it tough). Overall he has taken 10 years to complete these + 2 years out of work just doing odd things and trying to write papers.

I would think about what you want to get out of your PhD, your career future, your age on completion and whether doing another masters would really benefit this! Obviously everyone is different but I just wanted to tell you about the downside of this. Unfortunately in lab based science, it is very competitive, and getting even more so with recession and funding issues. Postdocs are thin on the ground and unfortunately whether you have 2 masters and PhD or just undergrad and PhD may not put you ahead of the crowd! You need to be able to justify in future WHY you do it.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, (up)

M

Thanks for the advise Alpacalover! My main worry right now is that I won't be able to find any work to gain experience in the lab, so only choice right now is to apply for a course to acquire that! I wasn't keen on applying for a PhD in the first place but had to rethink about whether I was going to find anyone that would take me on in the current recession!