Studying PhD in UK if your english score is lower

S

as i said before:
http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/rae_dynamic.cfm?MyURL=http://195.194.167.103/Results/byuoa/uoa38.htm

(copy paste the whole link)

will give you a list of all economics departments in the UK, plus a ranking of them (5* is the best).

B

Than you Jouri and shani.I am waiting your more explanation dear shani to your phrase,I repeat it to you "if you have a degree that can be classified as "good" or higher, that is enough; if it is only "average" or lower, it isn't'' do you mean that I have one of my marks is C or over ,just one of them?can you explain?

S

look, there's no general answer. i don't know what norvegian grades mean. how good is a C? as a rule of thumb, you will need to have "good" grades. what that means for your norvegian masters is up to you to say.

then, specific universities have specific requirements. for example the LSE lists their requirements exactly. for norvegian degrees, they state the following:

S

Graduate School

Applicants offering the Bachelors degree (since 2003) would need to offer grades of B/Very Good for entry to the Graduate school.

We also accept the Candidatus Magisterri, with an overall average grade of 2.5 or less.

This is our general minimum requirement; however, some programmes have specific requirements in terms of degree result required and subject background. Please see the Graduate Prospectus for specific course requirements and information about the application process.

S

and:

MPhil/PhD

Normally a UK taught master's degree or a non-UK equivalent in a subject appropriate to the research to be undertaken. The most appropriate supervisor for your work will be allocated with particular reference to your research proposal.

check out http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/graduateAdmissions/InternationalStudents/ for details. i guess other universites have similar information on their homepages.

B

the education system in Norway changed in 2003 including a change happened in estimating of exam grades.Before 2003 it was used figures from 0-9,after this date it has been using letters from A-E.I have mixed of both them system.when I read on London university that it is required that one has at least average mark equalled to 65%,I send email to examination office about providing me with average mark,but they answered me that average mark is not calculated.I list you my marks and you tell me.I took 13 courses:I got C /7.5 on 3 courses of them,D /7.5 on 2 courses,E /7.5 on 4 courses ,7.5 means points as well as I got marks :5/8,4/8,3/4,2/8 on 4 courses,number (8) and (4)mean points.All these courses are of code 400 and over.You see that I have mixed marks form new and old system.If this marks is below requirements of universities in UK,I will stop searching for Ph.D and poster in this forum.Iam waiting you dear shani

B

E is the lowest grade in grading scales from A-E and 2 is the lowest grade of grading scales from 0-9.

S

bedr, i really can't say. you could try www.ukcosa.gov.uk for help. they are very good and helpful.

do i understand you correctly: you got E, that is, the worst possible grade, on 4 courses, and 2, again the worst possible grade, on 2 more courses? does that mean that you failed these 6 courses? or does that mean that you got the worst kind of pass?

there must be some sort of "translation" between the former and the new grades. like, someone who would have gotten a 5 in the old system, what would he/she likely get in the new system? then you could estimate your own "average", if your uni doesn't provide you with one.

either way, it doesn't seem very promising. it seems you barely managed to pass your masters. if you only just passed your masters, why do you want to continue to PhD?

would you be admitted to a norvegian uni for PhD study with your grades? if not, then, likely you won't be luckier in the UK.

B

Thank you shani. This below is all courses I took and passed in detail as on my transcript.
Course Semester Points Grade
Economic Analysis
ECO 421 Financial theory 2005 Autumn 7.5 E
ECO 402 Econometrics techniques 2006 Spring 7.5 C
Economy and Politics
EPM 401 Introduction to empirical analysis 2005 Autumn 7.5 C
Financial Economics
FIE 403 Business cycle analysis 2006 Spring 7.5 D
FIE400N investments 2006 Autumn 7.5 E
FIE401 Methods for financial analysis 2007 Spring 7.5 D
Methodical
MET401 Optimization in economics theory 2003 Spring 4 3

B

MET428 Dynamic optimization in economics 2003 Spring 8 2
MET430 Time series analysis for economists 2003 Spring 8 5
MET400 Decision, strategy and information 2004 Spring 8 E

Economics
SAm425 Applied Econometrics 2003 Spring 4 5
Sam401 Groth theory and social insurance 2004 Spring 8 C

B

i divided the table to five columns The first one is for course and the second is without tiltle ,the third one is for semester and the fourth column contains figures 7.5;8;4 represent points and the last columns contains figures or letters are grade such as C;E;D;2;3;4;5.
for example you see a figure o a letter such as 7.5 c ,the first figure is for points and the letter is for grad and so on
I tried to paste the table compelelty but I could not .Anyhow,there is no way to upload files of documents in this forum like other forumes.
I f you do not figure out this tablw , I will try with other way.

B

Points Grade
7.5 E
7.5 C

7.5 C

7.5 D
7.5 E
7.5 D

4 3
8 2
8 5
8 E
8 4

8 5
8 C
this again,you know that each course has its own point and grade is preformance of a student in an exam.

B

Points |Grade
7.5 |E
7.5 |C

7.5 |C

7.5 |D
7.5 |E
7.5 |D

4 |3
8 |2
8 |5
8 |E
8 |4

8 |5
8 |C

ok now the points and grades are being separated by |

S

your grades really don't mean anything to me. i think you need to apply some own judgement.
- do you think your grades, overall, are good, above average? did you do well? compared to other students, did you get better grades than your friends? were you among the best x% students of the year?

- would you be admitted to a Norvegian uni for a PhD with these grades?

B

Thank you shani.I ask if I have average mark below 65% ,can I start my study in UK.Since I will study on my private expense? if yes which unversity admits me?
do you belive me shani if tell you that I got these markes without attending lectures and without reading,I handed in only assignment and final exam, when I travelled out of norway I send my assignment by email?. english language was an obstacle to me.If you look at my grades, you see that I obtained C only on mathematical subjects becuase I was solvog mathematical problems even if comments on solution is not satisfactory.Besides,I wrote master thesis on my own without supervisior and I submitted only to evaluation.That means I have a good ability in economics.