Stupid question regarding referencing

R

Dear all,

I am trying to write an article to be considered for publication in a particular journal. This journal indicates in its author section that books should be referenced as follows:

1 Smith J, Johnson J. (2010) Teamwork for ....... Blackwell Publishing: Chichester, pp.85-95.

Does this mean that:
If I reference one page in a book that pp. or p. should be used? e.g. p.85? (Seems the most obvious to me).

For articles they indicate the pages as follows: 95-01. (without pp.).
Would this then mean for a book: pp. 95-01 or pp.95-101?

Looking forward to replies, Rick

:-)

B

I'd to "p. 85" for the book reference myself given those rather vague guidelines.

I've been battling with 2 journals and their submission guidelines myself lately. Both totally different from anything I'm used to. And very very long. Much hair pulling out ensued!

R

Hi Bilbo,

thanks.
I thought that as well.

Indeed different journal have slight but significant differences regarding the referencing and other details. As you indicate the examples that they provide sometimes seem just not logical.

Do you want to share details regarding what your problems with the journals are?

B

======= Date Modified 27 Aug 2010 17:55:24 =======
Glad to help.

My problems with the journals were just that the guidelines went on forever, and I had so much correcting of my text to satisfy their requirements. Every possible thing was specified, not just the referencing format. It was a bit of a nightmare making sure I had changed everything needed. I ended up rereading the guidelines over and over, and checking. Just when I thought I'd got it sorted I'd spot something else to be changed for their rules.

I hope it worked. I sent in one journal paper for submission in July, and the other a few days ago. Was a bit of a relief to get them out of the way! I published in another two journals a few years ago, and that was *so* much easier :)

R

Aha,

so you have solved the issues already. Quite an achievement to submit two articles more or less simultaneously! I recognise the issue of having to read and re-read again and again, and it looks that it never finishes. So you must be pleased that the two pieces are out of the door!

I will now log off, thanks again and "see you".

Rick :-)