Submission after R&R- holiday?

D

Sorry, but I thought Larrydavid was funny, Beth12 gave good, sound advice and Pineapple29 is to be admired for taking the comments in good spirit.

I've always been astounded that Pineapple29 exceeded the word limit and by some margin - it wasn't really acceptable - but her supervisors should have stepped in before it got that far. Universities are usually very clear on word limits. However, Pineapple29 has every right to post as much as she likes and start as many threads as she likes, just as people can decide whether or not they want to read her posts. I would encourage Pineapple29 to posts if she wants or needs to as it would be great to see her get through this difficult time and get her PhD. I've used this forum to vent, sometimes time and again about the same issues and it's been of great help and if Pineapple29 needs to do the same she has every right.

A break might be better sooner rather than later because I feel it might increase your productivity. It's difficult to knuckle down when a big task awaits us and we can feel overwhelmed. However, most of the work has been done and keep that in mind, break what you need to do into little chunks, form a tick list and watch is getting shorter - it's a great feeling!

I can fully appreciate what Pineapple29 is going through as I found the corrections very, very tough going. I think in my head although I knew I could get corrections I also thought once I'd submitted (prior to viva) I'd finished and was gutted on finishing the marathon to be told to jog on for a bit longer. Pineapple29, you will get there (up)

D

Larrydavid, you're wasted on academia, you are a very funny man. Thanks for the link:-)

B

Hi, @Delta, thank you. I intended to provide advice (not criticism), and sometimes support comes in the form of perspective. I know what it is like to be required to work further but I also know that the ends are great - the advice is there to help us, and I certainly feel much more proud of my thesis now than prior to the viva. And the only way is to delete your life for a while, knuckle down, don't over-analyse or become insecure to the extent you have to justify every of the examiner's directives - it is a thesis, not a monster. Being methodical is the only way. If you feel like a break, then take one. Otherwise it will be counter-productive, but Pineapple, I can assure you that the days onward from when you submit will feel like a holiday even in dark, freezing cold UK! And of course, post as much as you like - and this forum is for support, never negativity. But at the same time, we need to be aware of when we are causing more stress than necessary to ourselves - hence PhD = Permanent Health Damage!
Oh and LarryDavid - see you 8pm on Friday! Pineapple, good luck! The worst, believe it or not, is over! :-)

K

======= Date Modified 08 Feb 2012 14:25:50 =======
Hey Pineapple! Just PM-ed you! KB

M

My ideal holiday after I resubmit my r&r thesis is to catch up with friends in foreign lands... Maybe you should do the same.