submit september but lack concentration

S

Bleh. Well for a change my supervisors are being terrific now it's coming to the end, returning chapters quickly with very thorough comments. But now I've lost momentum - the pressure is on to finish but I'm struggling to concentrate. So far today I've answered emails, chatted, and been perusing the forum (lots of replies today! It's easier than working on my thesis!), but done about 3 lines of my thesis. I still have one chapter to write the rest of the results, discussion & intro for, my Introduction chapter, my discussion chapter and some pretty severe editing/rewriting of previous chapters. I have less than 7 weeks. I know it's possible but I wish I could just stay motivated... any advice?!!! (trying to stay away from chocolate - I have a bikini to get into by December for my post-PhD holiday ;o))

V

Wellcome to the club of 'almost finished'. The same here:( It helps if I make very small aims and promise myself a reward for each of them.

T

I don't think I ever had chapters back quickly. It took me a year from the first draft doing corrections and a full time job to get to where I am now. Which is on the verge of completing the thesis. However and this may or may not motivate you, the nightmare does not end when you submit the thesis you have to prepare yourself for the defence!!

Tiggs

S

thanks :o) last night I sat down and worked out a new daily schedule... in a bid to try and stay on track. It's going to be tough (no surprises there, I'm a great 'leave it all to the last minute' person). As to after submission - I thought it would be heaven - but having seen other friends look equally frazzled after submission and even after a holiday, I've come to realise that submission isn't the end even though it feels like it at the moment. I have a nice viva panel though... still... on with the grind...

C

I can sympathise, I am fed up with a year on a thesis and not having finished. I've had slow feedback, which has really dragged it out.
I seem to have holes all over my thesis and sometimes feel I'll never finish.