submit without supervisor reading all thesis?

C

My supervisor is (toned down) not being very nice. He refused to talk to me on the general phone as he was too "busy" and wouldn't answer his office phone. He's either ignoring my emails or they bounced. He has taken 1-2 months to read each results chapter but I now have good feedback to work on. No-one has read my lit review/abstract or conclusion.
The department has its own internal deadline at the end of this month with a £100 incentive. I have a much-needed 1 week temp job next week so I will probably just avoid hitting my overdraft limit. I'm in my 4th year, had no funding since Christmas and living completely supported by my partner.

C

Do I make the last changes and hand in this month-or wait to get someone to read the final sections? Is there anything else I can do?

My supervisor is apparently too busy and will avoid reading for even longer than for results chapters according to past students. Of the other supervisors in the group one told me to drop 2/3 of my thesis at one point and disagrees with my supervisor, one is on leave, and the other is probably OK but it is outside his area. My 2nd advisor is generally busy but could try him, and maybe plead with a busy postdoc. Do you think they need to know the whole thesis to comment? I only want a will it pass or not.

such a difficult situation cc; and a difficult decision to make. It's not usually advisable to submit a thesis without a supervisor's go-ahead. But on the other hand, you can't let everyone read your thesis due to confidentiality, IP and etc. It is obvious that your supervisor don't (or won't) understand the urgency of this. If he's not approachable, you'll need to start solving this by going to someone higher than him. Is this supervisor also your director of studies?

C

What do you mean by director of studies? Head of department? There are people I could go to, but I know it will not necessarily be confidential.
My supervisor is quite senior, and all his students take a long time. I need him for references for jobs at the moment though.

My advisor is luckily around and able to look through it, since I posted, so hopefully that will work as he is experienced in most of it/PhDs generally. I'm not sure if he's about to go away, might try and find out what's going on with the postdoc.

B

CC - this is a rubbish situation you are in, but as 404 advised ... TALK TO YOUR DIRECTOR OF STUDIES/HEAD OF DEPARTMENT.

You can't rely on other people getting you through this PhD (as you've said yourself, you will need references from your supervisor in the future and if things don't go well in the viva - which your supervisor, I'm assuming, would be present for - than you are putting yourself into a situation where people will think 'well, you've only got yourself to blame for submitting without your sups ok'). Ultimately, you have much more to lose than your supervisor - don't forget that!

Don't try to work this out yourself ... talk to someone senior!!!

P

This is a really hard situation to be in, cc. Must be so frustrating to be so close to the end and yet having all these hurdles in your way. Have you checked to see what your university says about you submitting a thesis without approval from your supervisor, in case that is the option you take? At my uni, you can't submit your thesis for examination without your main supervisor signing a form that says he/she has read the final version and deems it fit for examination. Just something to look out for. Good luck.

C

The postdoc advised my supervisor should see it. He says my thesis is next on my supervisor's list.
Several people think I need to lean on him very heavily.
Unfortunately our head of department is about to be pushed out and doesn't particularly like me. There are people I can go to in the department, but will not neccessarily be confidential. There's also possibly a department for supporting postgrads.
My advisor has agreed to read my thesis in his own time This could be a bargaining tool. He's not back until possibly Tues, but his diary is now online so we can't track him.

C

Good news. I've had a temp job for this week but met my supervisor briefly this week. He will pay me £100 if I miss the departmental deadline, and accepts I need to finish and move on

C

My supervisor has now read most of my thesis and will pay £100 if I miss the departmental deadline as it was out of my control. He's accepted I need to move on and is actually working on it. I do have a lot of corrections/scribblings now to work on, so it could be August. I have 2 tests for job applications and only about a week to do them as well.

S

great cc, things seem finally to be moving!

S

Hoo, glad you've got it resolved. If I get to the same situation (which I wouldn't be surprised at given my supervisors general 4 month chapter turn-around). I'm afraid I'm probably going to be rather ruthless and say if I don't get comments by a certain time then I submit regardless... but will do my utmost to get my supervisors to agree to what I decide. My last chapter, I wrote a rather short email saying how disappointed I was not to have comments & how much I value his opinion that I got comments within a week with a note saying he was up till 3am reading it! So pressure appears to do the trick... unfortunately. I don't think either of us like being obstinate but sometimes it's necessary (PhD makes me grumpy).

V

It's your supervisor’s job. Insist its' read and if he won't before the deadline complain. I'm speaking from experience. My supervisor for the my final year undergrad project wouldn't talk to me either, he even made comments about my face and told me to shut up. He never read my final draft and I didn't do well in the project. I complained after but he lied (as I expected) to protect himself and I got a miserly 2% added onto the project mark. Don't let yourself go through the same experience. :(