Submitting thesis soon feel like giving up :|

L

I'll be submitting my thesis soon and looking at my thesis I just think its rubbish. Anyone ever felt like just giving up before they were meant to submit? :-(

B

I felt like this in August. I'm a part-time student (very part-time - typically 5 productive hours a week) and am due to submit by March. I had a huge panic in August. My supervisor reassured me, and I'm feeling more positive.

Basically my attitude now is I've done the best I can, and will have to see what happens. Fingers crossed!

C

I feel like this too, but we have to carry on somehow! Once you have submitted give yourself a bit of distance from the text before you prepare for the viva, and perhaps you'll come back to it with more positive eyes! good luck :)

L

Thanks guys, I've had PhD highs and lows but the lows didnt bother me as much as this one does, maybe its because Im so close to the submission date. I keep seeing things that need alot of improving, more papers I can write about, I look at the papers and think the work in them look so complicated and difficult in comparison to mine. When do you submit Chrisrolinski? Good luck to you both :-)

W

Lilbobeep, if you search the contents of this forum, you will find that there are loads of people that have felt exactly the same way as you. If you use the search terms 'thesis, about to submit, think, rubbish, poor and low standard' you'll find that people from Blackpool to Hull, Texas and beyond have thought along exactly the same lines as you. In fact, I'm going to cite the comment you've made above (Lilbobeep, 2009) in about a year's (well, about 18 months at the rate I'm going) time, because I'll feel exactly the same way, like everyone else. I think I'll call it the Lilobeeb PhD Thesis Submission Anxiety Phenomena, closely rated to the Lara Viva Apprehensiveness Complex (Lara, 2009). If your thesis was crap, your supervisory team would not let you submit and make recommendations for improvement. Every PhD student (a sweeping generalisation) worries that their thesis is not up to scratch and starts to pick holes in it before submission. I know I will. You'll be fine. Good luck.