Supervision

G

I'm worried about the supervision I'm recieving. I'm a CASE student working in industry. uni supervisors field is v.different to mine and is unable comment on data. Industrial supervisors, who could comment on data, aren't interested. The project is a "side project" and I'm not really working 'for' anyone as some students do. The project started from scratch and all methods are entirely of my own design from the start, is this the norm? I feel like I've been dropped in at the deep end where other students recieve a lot more help

Your situation is not the usual in science but does happen (it would be much more common if you were researching in the arts & humanities). The important thing to do is find an academic (or other expert) who you can consult with about your data. They don't have to take over as your supervisor, just be willing to have the odd meeting with you.

G

Ive got the same type of PhD as you (CAST) and im working in industry. I dont think im getting anywere near as much help as students at a university but then were paid much more and we have 3 years industrial experience at the end of it on top of our degree. So suck it up! good luck

G

So how much are CASE studentships worth? And do Research Councils pay for travelling expenses if you live a certain magic distance from the lab/uni?

G

So any offers?

A CASE studentship usually offers an extra 1 or 2 thousand pounds per year on top of the basic research council studentship.

G

Thanks. What about travelling expenses? Do you get any help with that? I just mean travelling to and from lab/uni if you live a certain no of miles as I read somewhere that you did and want to confirm it. : )